AuthorTopic: which distributer?  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
which distributer?
« on: September 03, 2010, 19:55:57 »
I have a problem, my newly re-built engine is running lumpy and the "Check engine" light has come on saying it has detected a misfire. I have pulled all the leads off with the engine running, to confirm each plug is working which they were. this leaves the dizzy, or the injectors. As the dizzy has done 176,000 miles I though I would change this first, I would have liked to get Mallory dizzy but at

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Re: which distributer?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 21:39:23 »
Don't know who would quote you that much for a mallory but they are mad.

Try Real steel on their website, or phone them. Very helpful bunch of chaps!  :D Whilst it isn't cheap the mallory is amazing and i wouldn't be without mine!
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline Rossko

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 15:57:51 »
What makes you sure it is a misfire? Guessing you have a CU14X ecu and it has a code 25 it really only means the lambda sensors have seen a rich mixture.  That might well be igntion related misfire, but easily something else. 
GLASS

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 21:05:44 »
Rossko, your 100% right, CUX 14, and yes, it could be anything, glad you mentioned about the fault code as it has thrown this up a few times and on the first couple of times it said the Lambda was at fault.... yes you guessed right I brought a new lambda! now just picking up a misfire fault plus running lumpy. I'm going For a new Dizzy as the current one has done alot of miles and I just needed an excuses to change it hence why I am trying to work out which to go for.

Denvor, how much should I be looking at paying for a Mallory? and what makes you say they are so good? Does it make your engine supper smooth? better acceleration? more MPG? is it worth the extra money?

I have another idea as well, I found a guy that is a Dizzy expert he tells me to get the best out of the modifications I have done to the engine (piper high torque cam, optimax chip) I need the dizzy setting up correctly (correct advance curve for the cam etc) this will cost me

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 22:56:32 »
Hi. Where do i start?

It was the previous owner who had the mallory fitted after having a catalog of misfire and old dizzy maladies. On LPG it was rubbish and it was brought down to the fact the old dizzy wasn't advanced enough to run properly. This was a slight problem as the dizzy was wound right around as far as it would go.
Now the mallory has enough advance (Adjustable) and you can get the correct springs to fine tune the advance curve yourself. The design and constrution is far superior too. The Dizzy itself is around 270 pounds from Real steel, and i would reccomend getting the proper coil for it as well. Again it was designed to work with the Dizzy and is a high output version.
LPG needs a big healthy spark to ignite it and on my Disco with it's Mallory - Magnecor combo means i have Never had a missfire on LPG due to a poor spark.
The original mallory cap lasted 4 years, 40+K miles and was still running fine even though the carbon bush had worn away in the middle!
The Lucas dizzies have a market place full of cheap and nasty chinese copy caps and rotor arms, and there is scores of people all over the internet who have had problems with rubbish quality caps and arms. The mallory only have genuine items (again sold from Real Steel) And whilst it would seem pricy against the lucas copies they do work.
There was a few years ago a batch of NOS lucas dizzies straight from land rover but they have all been sold to private hands, as they are as good as they get from the factory and work. But this is the only other way that i would see as an option against a mallory.

The local independent has had a handful of customers with V8's who have had Misfire problems due to elderly Dizzys, and those who have popped a mallory in place have been 100% happy and love the fact their V8 is running smooth as ever.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 20:26:42 »
Well as per normal could not get enough money for the Mallory, so brought a Re-conditioned unit fro RPI..... all seems good now the engine has smoothed right out and running well. thanks for you help

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 01:23:35 »
I was looking at buying one of their trade packs of dizzies but couldn't find anyone else who wanted one. 

Anyway, did it sort it out?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 22:41:56 »
You allways find someone after you have ditched the Idea  :x Not done many miles yet but all seems good at the moment

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 01:18:14 »
replied to your e-mail BTW.  just checked and my galery is still activeon here.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal