AuthorTopic: hot starting problem  (Read 1846 times)

Offline JIMBOBLY

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
hot starting problem
« on: August 01, 2010, 00:22:04 »
ive had this hot starting problem for a while,ive fitted plugs,leads,cap and rotor arm and coil and module,and still no cure,lolit starts fine cold,but if you go a few miles,then go to restart it,it will wind over n over,if you back off the key,as soon as you hit the key again,it fires up,cough a nd a pop smelling very rich,then its fine,i thought to much draw from a knackerd starter,but that would do it when its cold i'd of thought,what do you think?any help is always much appreciated,jim.

Offline Rossko

Attack Member
Re: hot starting problem
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 08:54:46 »
Let's guess its a petrol V8 ... but carbs? EFI, hot wire or flapper?
GLASS

Offline Rainbird

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 16:30:36 »
If it's the one in your avatar, then I'm thinking 3.9 hot wire EFi.  Have you checked the temperature sensors?  There are two; the easy one to get to is the sender for the temperature gauge and the other nearby which is more difficult to get to is for the ECU.

I can't remember how the 3.9 cold starts.  If there's a cold start injector on the plenium, then this could be causing the problem if it's firing each time you start.  you could try disconnecting it to see if that makes a difference.  It will still start from cold without this connected

Offline JIMBOBLY

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 22:39:17 »
yeah sorry,bit stupid of me,lol,it is the one in my avatar,3.9 efi hotwire :lol:,i havnt tried the cold start injector no,but i have done both the sensors,sorry,should of mentioned that too
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 22:41:42 by JIMBOBLY »

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 01:21:16 »
Np cold start injector in the hotwire system.  It runs rich untill it gets a reading form the MAF sensor which is why they often stall after a couple of seconds when a sensor is bust.

The Haynes manual is actually very good for testing the basic operatrion of the EFi system ;)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal