AuthorTopic: 200tdi toauto  (Read 1559 times)

Offline simdeb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200tdi toauto
« on: July 19, 2010, 22:26:20 »
Right due to my wife's illness and struggling to drive a Manuel i have took decided that while i am on the rebuild to change it to an auto

the bits i have are
20tdi out of a disco and box etc
4.2 auto box with a bell housing to a 300tdi  but its missing the torke converter and the fly wheel

i have some bits for the pedal box and the kick down its just what bits i need and will fit on the engine and box etc

any help taken

North Nottinghamshire rep for GLASS

nottinghamshirenorth.rep@glass-uk.org

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: 200tdi toauto
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 22:52:39 »
Right.
The gearbox is essentially the same, so a TDi one will last for yonks because it doesn't get the same grief, BUT

The valving is all different, the gearchange points and kickdown are all differnet to suite the slower-running TDi, probably about 1,000rpm I'd say so you would end up blowing the TDi apart in short order.

The torque converter on the TDi is noticeably smaller and again has a different stall characterisitic, also when combined with the TDi flex-plate it has a differnet second moment of area (flywheel-ness).

The pedalboxs are essentially the same but the auto brake pedal is wider.

However, if the bellhousing fits a TDi, are you sure it wasn't already converted to a TDi engine?  what's it's history.

The wiring loom you fitted may already have connections for the autobox, the starter inhibiter etc.

You'll need a new console, shifter and surround.  The transfer box selector might be different. too..

Also, and I need to check this, but I think a TDi gearbox sits further forwards compared to a V8.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline simdeb

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 07:48:12 »
Thanks for that mate

I think for the moment i might carry on with the rebuild and look for an late diesel auto complete
North Nottinghamshire rep for GLASS

nottinghamshirenorth.rep@glass-uk.org

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 22:19:35 »
A TDi that's been pushing an auto around will probably be in good nick for it's age as they are harder ot over-rev.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal