AuthorTopic: Whats the difference?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline marcusgolding

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Whats the difference?
« on: March 29, 2010, 19:35:20 »
hi, I'm looking to buy a tax exempt series landy. Ive seen a few in the budget (£1200) ones a 69 series 2a and the other is a 71 series 3.
please could you tell me what differs between the 2 and what you'd recommend.
thanks in advance
Marcus.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity!

Offline brixworth-alan

Attack Member
  • The new acquisition
Re: Whats the difference?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 21:56:15 »
Hi Marcus,
   There are number of small differences between late s2as and early s3s. The biggest structural difference is the bulkhead/ dash panel - on the s3 it accomodates a big heater matrix and instrumentation laid out more like a cars whereas the s2 has a pretty 'agricultural' feel to it with gauges etc mounted on a pretty basic bit of steelwork, rather than mounted into a plastic facia. Up front the s3 has lights integrated into the wings rather than the centre panel but a late S2a will have those too.

As for which is best? I like my s2's simple, traditional look, but the heater in the S3 undoubtedly works better :)

There was a suspicion I think at one stage that the S3 chassis was a bit thinner than the s2s, but then again at that sort of age condition  is everything; a S3 thats lived in a barn will fare better than a s2 thats lived outside in the rain.

hope that helps

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 00:13:40 »
series 3 has a full synchro box whereas the 2a only has synchro on 3rd and 4th, 1969 2a should have headlights in the wings i believe, along with guages in the centre of the dash, heater matrix inside the cab, a single wiper motor mounted to the passenger side of the bulkhead, dipswitch on the floor and possibly a wire spoked steering wheel with a horn button in the centre...

series 3 has lights in wings and an air intake hole for the heater in the nearside wing, "snail shell" blower and heater matrix mounted under the bonnet on top of the passenger footwell, guages in a plastic facia in front of the driver, three spoke steering wheel and a combination dip/main/indicator/horn switch on the column plus a more "refined" dash board that is plastic clad ...

these are the main interior differences that i know of, externally the door hinges differ (smooth on the S3 and proud on the S2a), screen hinges differ as well so the screens aren't interchangeable either (earlier S2a has yet a different screen that carries 2 wiper motors as per my 1965 109 2a)...

standard seating in both is pretty basic unless someone has fitted deluxe seats (still basic)

there are various small differences that i've heard of that the more knowledgeable would be able to point out but i doubt i'd spot (only been into Series landrovers for just over a year) but i hope that helps you with your decisions

all these identifying points assume that no one has swapped parts over the years for bits they could get cheaply to keep thier motor on the road and usable (my 88" is a proper Bitsa)
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 09:17:45 »
All good points and I think just about covered!

Just from a pure interest point, my 69 2a had the lights in the grill, but a mates 69 2a had them in the wings! They were registered 3 weeks apart!
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline Pete

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 22:01:01 »
Series 2a should have the flat leading edge to the bonnet. Series 3 will have the rolled leading edge.
Head lights in wings came in mid 69, though some late registered vehicles still have them in the grill.
As mentioned above, many series 2a s have parts from later motors fitted.
Pete

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 16:32:27 »
Ahh but some early series 3's had the razor edge bonnet too, I think it depended what they had sitting in the parts bin at the time and more likely what has been fitted since!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 17:13:29 »
I read somewhere that the razor-edge bonnet was the standard, but the roll-edged was a deluxe version - fitted to station wagons as standard and an option on other vehicles? Shouldn't be too hard to check if someone has an options price list for S2/S2a?

All bets are of course off now as parts will have been swapped all over the place to keep the best bits on the functioning trucks!  :lol:
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal