AuthorTopic: Headlights not working....Can anyone help Please? (Series 2a 1970 J 2.25 Petrol)  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Tezybonk123 88

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
My lights were working fine yesterday & I did get the Land Rover a little wet the other night but the lights worked fine then too. Now today I have the side lights there OK, but no headlights. I have checked the 2 fuse under the bonnet on the Bulkhead & there is power to the headlight switch but none at the head lights plug?I have looked for broken wires/connectors etc & connot see any .Is there another Fuse box or can you suggest anything for me to look at?
I'm new to the Land Rovers & this is my 1st one
Any information at all Please
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 16:12:22 by Tezybonk123 88 »
ToolMakers do it with precision!

Offline Amma

Attack Member
There should not be another fuse box anywhere unless a previous owner has fitted one.

A couple of things to think about for you.

Are they sealed beam headlights? This type of unit does not have a changeable bulb but should not be prone to blow if submurged in water due to the fact that the water cannot get inside. If the lights have been upgraded to halogen units that have a more modern H4 bulb they can let the water inside and if it contacts a bulb that is illuminated it has a tendancy to blow straight away because it is hot and the cold water cools it too quickly and, in some cases, can cause it to even break the glass of the bulb.

Another thing to think about if the units have been changed to later halogen type is that a halogen bulb will draw more current down the wiring to the headlights and can cause the wiring to burn out quicker. I had this happen to the nearside headlight on my 1969 109". It was easy enough to just run a new length of suitably rated wire accross and the job was done.

Hope this helps.

;)
1969 One-Ton replica now with 200Tdi power.

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
Terry, if needs be bring it round mine, 2 or 3 of us nosing under the bonnet might spot something easier than you on your own

Pete
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline dave_2A_2.25Turbo

Attack Member
Check the earth on the underside of the bonnet slam panel
Dave
1963 S2A
1992 Disco 200TDi
Sankey Widetrack

Offline landy_bug

Attack Member
Check the earth on the underside of the bonnet slam panel

i was going to suggest this, i had similar problems on my old s3 the connection looked ok but upon further inspection the connection was poor so i cut it off stripped it back and stuffed it under the neg battery term which solved my problem so i renewed the connection cleaned the metalwork up, reconnected it all and greased it up with electrical grease to stop the corrosion again

hope yours is that simple because electrical problems can be a nitemare to trace
LIFE IS A WATE OF TIME AND TIME IS A WASTE OF LIFE, SO GET WASTED ALL OF THE TIME AN YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

1981 Series 3 3.0 V6 (deceased)
2005 Freelander TD4 Commercial

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort

hope yours is that simple because electrical problems can be a nitemare to trace

are you volunteering me  :shock:
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline landy_bug

Attack Member
no but if you want to feel free :lol: :grin:
LIFE IS A WATE OF TIME AND TIME IS A WASTE OF LIFE, SO GET WASTED ALL OF THE TIME AN YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

1981 Series 3 3.0 V6 (deceased)
2005 Freelander TD4 Commercial

Offline Tezybonk123 88

Attack Member
 :oops: Thank you all & sorry
I thought I deleted this thread as I fixed it about half hour later It was a hidden loose wire!
Again thank you
Tez
(PS; I have 'PX'ed it now for another Series 2a! :D)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 17:12:37 by Tezybonk123 88 »
ToolMakers do it with precision!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal