AuthorTopic: One piece ser 3 screen  (Read 1862 times)

Offline stevethedent

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Sobriety is an illusion caused by a lack of beer
  • Referrals: 0
One piece ser 3 screen
« on: March 20, 2010, 15:59:33 »
I got fed up of the restricted view from my ser 3 and now I have got the parabolic suspension thought I would set about finding a soloution, so here goes:
To avoid the risk of a disaster I bought a used screen of ebay for a fiver and removed the glass by undoing the small screws that keep the screen retaining angle iron in place. Then running a staley knife around the edges of the glass and then removing the glass. Using an angle grinder carefully cut out the centre divide level with the frame. I then cleaned and sanded the whole fame and painted with silver hammerite. I went to a glazing company and got them to cut me a new single piece of laminated glass 6.4 mm thick 1420mm x 1355mm x 360mm asked them to etch on laminated glass kite mark to avoid any MOT test problems. You will need some 10 mm double sided tape for the inside edges of the screen and a tube of silicone with a suitable gun. stick the tape to the edges of the inside of the screen then run a beed of silicone around the window frame about the thickness of a biro. place the glass in the frame and carefully apply a little pressure to bed the glass and then replace the angle iron retainers. turn the frame over and wipe any excess silicone off the screen with a rag soaked in paint thinners. job done. It makes a big difference with little effort. Good luck with it. If you need any more info give me a shout on here.  :clap:

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
Re: One piece ser 3 screen
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 20:31:29 »
How much did the glass cost???  You cant beat the split screen look thou!!!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:06 »
Another route would to get from a  automotive windscreen supplier as they should be able to cut a screen to any bespoke shape, thickness, laminated or toughened and etch with industry standard markings. My kitcar has a weird shaped screen and replacement from a windscreen guy was a matter of walking in with a template for the shape.

btw doesn't a whole defender screen and frame fit a series 3? too tall i guess?

Benefit of one piece in a series is the option of getting a better/bigger/wider wiper sweep... but don't think I'd be upgrading  ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 14:13:13 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline stevethedent

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 08:43:20 »
Sorry, forgot to mention the cost so here goes: :shocked:
Glass.............£20
Silicone..........£8
tape...............£3
result priceless
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:39:27 by stevethedent »

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 08:57:32 »
Sorry, forgot to mention the cost so here goes: :shocked:
Glass.............£20
Silicone..........£8
tape...............£3
:clap: good bargain really
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline stevethedent

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 14:04:10 »
Anybody out there successfully fitted a defender screen to a series? :rolleyes:

Offline Artwigwa

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 19:55:56 »
I got fed up of the restricted view from my ser 3 and now I have got the parabolic suspension thought I would set about finding a soloution, so here goes:
To avoid the risk of a disaster I bought a used screen of ebay for a fiver and removed the glass by undoing the small screws that keep the screen retaining angle iron in place. Then running a staley knife around the edges of the glass and then removing the glass. Using an angle grinder carefully cut out the centre divide level with the frame. I then cleaned and sanded the whole fame and painted with silver hammerite. I went to a glazing company and got them to cut me a new single piece of laminated glass 6.4 mm thick 1420mm x 1355mm x 360mm asked them to etch on laminated glass kite mark to avoid any MOT test problems. You will need some 10 mm double sided tape for the inside edges of the screen and a tube of silicone with a suitable gun. stick the tape to the edges of the inside of the screen then run a beed of silicone around the window frame about the thickness of a biro. place the glass in the frame and carefully apply a little pressure to bed the glass and then replace the angle iron retainers. turn the frame over and wipe any excess silicone off the screen with a rag soaked in paint thinners. job done. It makes a big difference with little effort. Good luck with it. If you need any more info give me a shout on here.  :clap:

:dance: Please, let's see some pics!!  :lol:

Offline stevethedent

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 15:14:40 »
OK I will try and post some pictures. I Know this looks like a defender but trust me it is a 1984 series 3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal