AuthorTopic: a couple of questions  (Read 3620 times)

Offline craig_midz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
a couple of questions
« on: March 03, 2010, 23:39:29 »
i have recently brought a r reg diesal freelander an i was wonderin y i have got hill decent or traction control yet my mates petrol one has an also is it poss 2 connect hill decent an traction control as i only ask this as i tried followin him across a field an 2 say i didnt make it in field an he did was annoyin an he was on standard freelander tyres  same as me oh n my mates is a lower spec then mine and older

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Re: a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:13:18 »
The HDC is controlled with a button on the centre console by the gearlever... or at least it is on our 2001 TD4 auto.

If you still have access to a grass field, try flooring it. If it spins up a wheel, you don't have TC fitted!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline landy_bug

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:39:32 »
as said above you need to floor it in the freelander to get the tc working if it ain't broke! hdc should be a yellow button on back of gearlever on early models and by gearlever on later ones. but even on muddy fields you shouldn't need hdc just give it some welly and see what happens!! :grin:
LIFE IS A WATE OF TIME AND TIME IS A WASTE OF LIFE, SO GET WASTED ALL OF THE TIME AN YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

1981 Series 3 3.0 V6 (deceased)
2005 Freelander TD4 Commercial

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 14:22:17 »
On a Freelander of that age the HDC switch is on a collar just below the gear knob. Push it down and you should get a light on the dash. Does yours have this switch?

HDC works with the traction control system to keep speed below about 5mph when going down hill, but only works in 1st or reverse.
MSA Radio: Worcester1

Offline craig_midz

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 22:33:52 »
i have no switch at all on my gearlever an had a look at another diesal one today an that didnt have either so is this another way landrover saved money an didnt fit it to diesals an only fitted it to petrols an i tried the field again an just had front tyres spinnin an dug me down till i sat on skid plate

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 23:57:46 »
HDC fitment depended on what model it was and what spec the first owner specified. It was certainly fitted to diesels, as my 2000 XEdi had it.
Sorry, but you will have to alter your driving style to suit what your car has.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 09:03:28 »
Our 2000 manual petrol had the HDC button on the gearlever. Our current 2001 TD4 auto has the button behind the gear selector.

As Llanigraham says, some models had it as standard and it was an optional extra on others.

It's an amazing piece of technology. Never ceases to impress me. But even without it, you can get your Freelander to go places you wouldn't believe. But you have to learn how to use it.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline craig_midz

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 20:31:10 »
mine is just a bogo freelander as it only got eletric front windows so how hard would it be to fit the hdc an traction control as mine aint got abs or nothing either or would it be easier to sell it an get a later one as i do like drivin the freelander which i never thought i would say that just annoyin when it gets stuck another question is what is the biggest size tyres i can put on freelander as i currently have 195/80/15s but want some bigger ones would it be worth investin in a set of 16 inch rims if so same again whats the biggest size i can put on em without destoryin the drivetrain

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 20:39:58 »
Basically, no you can't retro fit HDC etc. it would probably need a complete loom, ECU etc, plus other bits.
Tyres, don't know. In 6 years of regularly off-roading them I've rarely found a problem with the standard size. I have fitted AT tyres, but other than that a Freelander makes you read the ground and plan a route properly. Can honestly say I have only ever been stuck twice in all those years.

Offline si-freelander

Attack Member
  • who said a hippo could not do what a tank dose.
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 19:38:28 »
hi there the bigest size tyre you can fit on 15 inch rims is 215.80.15 at or 215.75.15 mud tyres hope this helps the freelander is a great drive what ever any body says. they can get you to some great place. doing the tyres on the 215.80.15 at makes a big difference and a bit more clearance too.

Offline cooper956

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 20:13:54 »
if only your front wheels spin is it still 4wd some popel remove the rear prop when the vc or the ird is [!Expletive Deleted!] no abs means no tc or hdc i think all the ones that had abs had hd and tc never yet come across one without abs though. was there many made in such low spec
disco 300tdi xs
109 pickup
caseih 956 turbo 4x4
ih b-275
jd 355
plus banger cars and race cars lol
get in hold on and shut up!

Offline landy_bug

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 18:32:45 »
as said before 215/80r15 is about as big an AT you can go without mods these should give you about an inch extra clearance
LIFE IS A WATE OF TIME AND TIME IS A WASTE OF LIFE, SO GET WASTED ALL OF THE TIME AN YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

1981 Series 3 3.0 V6 (deceased)
2005 Freelander TD4 Commercial

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal