AuthorTopic: Decisions, decisions..  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Dave123

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Decisions, decisions..
« on: February 10, 2010, 19:28:39 »
At a point now of needing to get rid of the landy to fund a mini and need to know a rough price for 2 options..

Option A) Part it out?

B) Sell it as spares or repairs..

It was going to be put in for an MOT, but on pre-work inspections, found a lot of rust and a few other bits and bobs, and fixed some of it, fixed the brakes and emissions, but lost heart in it, Still need to have a little bit of welding on the bulkhead and a indicator light unit and a passenger door handle and be put in for an MOT, Just to find out what else needs doing... I can't imagine much.. It was a very good runner, very reliable and got me to and from where-ever I needed to go on a daily basis!

EDIT: Thought i should mention the good bits.. Got 5, barely warn Michelin XZL's? (I think that's the name) Free wheel hubs, the 2.25 petrol and it pulled strong in all gears, The gearbox did whine a bit though! Extensive history with a RAF background too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 19:33:14 by Dave123 »
Pull my finger :D

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
Re: Decisions, decisions..
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 21:56:08 »
if you've got the time and space to break it i think you'll make more money ...

an 88 with no mot is virtually worthless (no more than £300) unless it's something special, i've just bought one (early Series 3) with an overdrive in it  and a chunk of rot in the chassis, all panels nice and straight with a mint bulkhead with absolutely no need of any repair, 2.25 diesel that needs the timing/injector pump sorting ...  £150 and a clutch swap (he supplies the clutch kit)...

ok the chassis "may" be scrap (i don't think so) but i'm not bothered, i've enough parts to build another cheap project plus it comes with assorted spares including another engine complete and one in bits...

if you do go for breaking i'd be interested possibly in some parts, if not and the price was right i may even be interested in the whole vehicle

p.m. me your thoughts on price
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline landy_bug

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 21:29:12 »
don't break it sell as one complete vehicle, its a shame to see landies being broken when in servicable condition and also i have broken mine and still have lots of parts left over, the market is flooded with series parts where people are breaking. fair enough you want to get as much money as possible, i broke mine because the chassis was twisting due to rot, the gearbox was broken and i didn't have the money or time to repair it, I regret this desision alot :'(
pm me with price you have in mind, i know someone looking for a project vehicle.
LIFE IS A WATE OF TIME AND TIME IS A WASTE OF LIFE, SO GET WASTED ALL OF THE TIME AN YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

1981 Series 3 3.0 V6 (deceased)
2005 Freelander TD4 Commercial

Offline Dave123

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 14:24:17 »
Right, as promised.. Here's the Album to the pictures or good and bad, Could get any photos of the Rear X-member, but it's pretty solid, just surface rust..

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee160/BigDave123_2007/Land%20rover/

Oh, also forgot to mention, they have fairey free wheel hubs!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 14:27:30 by Dave123 »

Offline Panda

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 14:48:14 »
your photobucket account is lock fella
Your never too old to grow up.

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 15:46:40 »
you need to allow the public to see that part of your account, i'd guess you've got it set to "private" covering the whole account
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline Dave123

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 16:12:32 »
Should be fixed! Sorry about that! :oops:

Offline winchman

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 07:10:54 »
an 88 with no mot is virtually worthless (no more than £300)

The problem here is a good Vitara with MOT can be had for the same money as a scrap Landrover, so you limit your sale to people who want a specific one so it drives the value down.
I would park it and fix it when you can afford to as is it worth selling for what you would get?
When you break them you are often left with a load of bits you cant sell and end up throwing them away.
I have seen far worse repaired and as has already been said if you do get rid you would regret it in future, I lost interest in my Range Rover but if I had put more effort it I could have had more fun with it
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline rustyrhinos

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 21:27:23 »
Fix it up and sell it...looks way too good to me to break for spares. Or at least sell it complete - if you put up an honest advert with all of the bits that need doing you will get a better price than listing "needs work" or words to that effect. Mine was much, much worse than this and very happy that I got it back on the road.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal