AuthorTopic: GC radiator replacement  (Read 3111 times)

Offline sardonicus

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
GC radiator replacement
« on: January 26, 2010, 22:37:18 »
Well ,the time has come to finally replace the rad on the jeep,as the occaisional drip out of the bottom has become a slow trickle.  Had a look and a poke around so far and it looks fairly easy to do....?  I think the small rad type oil cooler in front of the aircon will have to have the pipes disconnected,and the fan probably needs to come off to get the cowl out of the way.
So has anyone done one of these before ? and does the fan come off the pulley with the four bolts in the centre?
'97  4.0l Jeep Grand Cherokee on L.P.G.   back to family transport :(  
'82 RRC Ambulance camper project .   Sold :(
'95 300tdi disco auto. :)

Question  Everything

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
Re: GC radiator replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:37:58 »
All of the rads in the front can stay.

Take off the slam panel, take out the whole head light / grill asembly. Unto the top and bottom hoses, the rad then slides out.

The air con rad will be stuck to the water rad, slide something between them and they will seperate, it's just a rubber strip which gets stuck.

You can work around all of the pipework on the passenger side.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline sardonicus

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 21:01:11 »
I was hoping it was easy as it looks. It has a built in oil cooler on the left side which has a short fixed pipe at the bottom which is a bit unusual,so hopefully that should come off at the joint with the flexi one ok. Was hoping to leave all the plastic front panel on but we'll see about that... and not having to fanny about with the fan would save time and skinned knuckles .
 I've found one for £75 +delivery which doesnt seem too bad as one for my  disco cost £100,ali core and plastic ends which arent my preferred choice of keeping boiling water under pressure ,but seems to work.
Cheers for the reply,will give it a go if its not raining this weekend....

Question  Everything

Offline sardonicus

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 21:15:45 »
Got the new rad fitted and all seems fine ,though i think i have an airlock as water sprayed out of the rad filler cap.Topped it up and ran it again and will check it again tomorrow.
I didnt have to take all the front off ,just the slam panel and outer plastic grill. The fan comes off easily with the plastic cowl.
When youre testing the new rad dont be tempted to run it without the fan, as the four nuts hold the pulley wheel on as well.!!oops. :oops: and if its a later 97-99 ish models it might have a stupid yellow plastic connector thingy on the gearbox fluid pipe from the cooler  :x so disconnect the lower fluid pipe so the flexi bit comes out with the rad.

Question  Everything

Offline lammychop

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 08:03:25 »
hi mate see you are from kent aswell are you a member offthe kent off road club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal