AuthorTopic: Faulty Freelander  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Gordo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
  • Referrals: 0
Faulty Freelander
« on: January 25, 2010, 14:34:12 »
I was out getting the Freelander muddy yesterday, and when I got back on the road I was lacking power.

Accelerating up to normal road speed, I seemed to lose power just above 2k revs (it's a Td4) meaning a top speed of ~50mph. Switching off, letting it rest for a few minutes and normal service appeared to have resumed, but the car started giving the odd judder, and again no power above 2k revs. No dash warning lights either (and yes, the bulbs are working!).

My thinking is that it could be a turbo issue, because that comes in around there. I'm hoping it'll fix itself while I'm at work, but I'm not holding my breath  :-k

Anyone else had this? Any suggestions?

...and I'm supposed to be having my first advanced driving lesson next Saturday  :(
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Land Rover Freelander SE Td4 | Defender 110 XS Double-Cab

Offline JimP

Attack Member
Re: Faulty Freelander
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 15:21:47 »
Any black smoke when it judders?
Disco 300tdi - for laning
Suzuki Vitara - for playing!!

Offline Gordo

Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 18:38:19 »
Any black smoke when it judders?
I'm told that there were a couple of puffs of black smoke, yes.
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Offline maggers

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 19:36:12 »
May be the EGR valve sticking but the most likely is the MAF sensor gone west. ;)
'93 Discovery 200TDI

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20:19 »
May be the EGR valve sticking but the most likely is the MAF sensor gone west. ;)

Wouldn't that throw up an EM warning light on the dash? Even if it should, we are talking about a Land Rover, so maybe it won't!!

Ours started running in 'safe mode' which limits the revs. Sounds like that's what yours might be doing. But ours showed a warning light.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline maggers

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 21:25:08 »
EGR will probably throw up a light but MAF won't, the ECU won't see it as a fault as long as it gives some reading.
'93 Discovery 200TDI

Offline Gordo

Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 23:04:50 »
Quick update: It seems it was water / dampness in something, somewhere. Took it for a run last night with no misfire and clean acceleration up to [speed limit]  :police:

I did ford a few deep(ish) puddles, but nothing silly. I'll keep an eye on it and hope it behaves itself - I might even try bribing it with a jet-wash session and bucket of soapy water.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them handy for next time :)

Offline landy_bug

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 21:05:54 »
i had this problem after greenlaning on the plains in the rain :lol: if you look behind the engine left hand side there is a little inline filter which is not connected at one end, this breather sucks in water and when it gets blocked up it causes problems. i removed mine and within an hour or so the problem went, the filter was full of muddy water!

connect a longer pipe on the end of it and raise it up a bit more to stop the problems.
LIFE IS A WATE OF TIME AND TIME IS A WASTE OF LIFE, SO GET WASTED ALL OF THE TIME AN YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

1981 Series 3 3.0 V6 (deceased)
2005 Freelander TD4 Commercial

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal