AuthorTopic: Speedo Woes  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Yoshi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Speedo Woes
« on: January 15, 2010, 20:27:51 »
Me speedo and other guages dont work!

The speedo has had a new cable but still not working.

Fuel guage shows as full on both tanks (its an ex mil 109).

Temp shows as freezing all the time lol.

Any help would be most appreciated :D

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline kevinragman

Attack Member
  • Done and very happy!!
Re: Speedo Woes
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 20:41:29 »
 :) Good evening !!  Has your car stood at all or is it being used daily??  I ask this cause my 109 hadn't been on the road since may 04 and my fuel gauge read full all the time ad until two weeks ago, the temp gauge didn't budge from freezing.  But now the temp is okay, just started working and my fuel gauge is possesed by some mad demonic force and does whatever it wants too!! :evil: :evil:  As for speedo, the cable turns okay, not trapped or anything??  You would have checked that though :doh:   I have been told to drop the fuel tank and clean, or replace the sender, the temp I cleaned up what I thought was the sender and it was the wrong thing , still had no wire to it but everything works so not fussed.  Ask Mr Bogie, he has a vast experience with said vehicles!!  Good luck!! :D
1980 Series 111 Safari lwb, Needs love!!
1998 Suzuki Swift 3 pot auto!
Lots to do.......
Only one lifetime to do it.......
www.wackyracers.org.uk

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 20:47:33 »
Its been stood for quite some time, we just got it today, but we know the person we got it off.  Dont think it has moved in a number of months!

I didnt fit the cable, so no idea if its spinning or not, but i know its a new cable.  How would i test if its spinning correctly??

Offline Dave123

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 16:00:02 »
I had all sorts of trouble with my cable.. It was generally bad new parts.. you can check the speedo drive by opening the centre hatch, there you'll find the speedo cable just behind the hand brake drum, Undo the three screws (if it has it) or the clip, put in a small cross head screw driver, and turn it to see if it has resistance... If no, then your screw driver might be too small to be in the square or your drive gear could be knackered.. I found it did have resistance, to vice, plus cable just to squish it a little and make it bigger sorted the problem... Before you start crimping the cable though, remove the end going to the speedo and stick your finger on it while driving, you should be able to feel it spinning. If not.. then it's the speedo drive and do as said above ;)
Pull my finger :D

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 20:04:28 »
Do we know if the ones for an ex mil are the same as a normal one for a 2.25 petrol engine?

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 21:15:23 »
Right then,take your clocks out so you can see the end of the cable,jack a rear wheel up so its off the ground,make sure you are in 2WD and start,put in gear and let her go,you should see the inner cable turn,if not the drive in the box needs looking at.The clock could also be stuffed plus make sure the clip on the end of the cable is fully pushed on to the clock. With the other gauges turn the ignition on ,remove the wire for the temp sender and earth it out on engine for example,the reading on the gauge should shoot up to max,if not you have broken wire/problem or stuffed gauge. To test the gauge put a live to one side of feed and an earth to the other feed,this shows if your gauge is working. Repeat this with all the other gauges and senders and you will soon find out what is good and what aint!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 23:02:45 »
Cheers Bogie, will try that tomorrow.

Will the raised wheel trick work with the fact its ex mil and doesnt have free wheeling hubs??

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 01:03:27 »
Cheers Bogie, will try that tomorrow.

Will the raised wheel trick work with the fact its ex mil and doesnt have free wheeling hubs??

yes it will work if you run it in high range TWO wheel drive ... release the handbrake and chock the front wheels to ensure it doesn't slip off the jack tho ...

you really don't want it falling and either lurching away with you or risking breaking a halfshaft (it's the sudden traction that usually breaks them)
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 16:30:35 »
Right, now its got a speedo working!  A little bit of flattening here and there and it turns :D

So thanks for the help :D

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 19:50:44 »
What was wrong with it???
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 19:58:33 »
A little bit of flattening here and there and it turns :D

It was just not catching in the hole, so a bit of modification and it is turning :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal