AuthorTopic: Good engine paint?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline brixworth-alan

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • The new acquisition
  • Referrals: 0
Good engine paint?
« on: January 11, 2010, 22:06:25 »
Hi all- does anyone have a recommendation for a good paint that will stick to an engine block? Also- I want to paint the inside of my bonnet, should that be heat resistant too or can I get away with red oxide?

cheers
Alan

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
Re: Good engine paint?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 16:51:45 »
heat resistant isn't really needed on either the engine block or bonnet (definitely not needed on the bonnet)....

i've painted boat engines with regular bodywork synthetics, painted a goldwing engine with clear over a metallic basecoat and some years ago i used to strip and tart my old 750 honda up every now and then, the barrels,head and cam cover got sprayed with Hermetite engine laquer (an oil based brush paint) that i thinned with celly thinners and put ONE good coat on (you can't put a second coat on with celly thinners in that paint)...

the most important thing is to make sure that the items you're painting are scrupulously clean and have a good keyed surface, the only bit that should need a really high temperature paint is the exhaust manifold, loads of folks use barbeque paint on thier bike downpipes, some VHT paints are not brilliantly petrol resistant if not cured properly  :(  ....

these are only things i've done and not for recommendations, if you aren't satisfied with the finish it's not my fault
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline Artwigwa

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 18:35:08 »
Hi all- does anyone have a recommendation for a good paint that will stick to an engine block? Also- I want to paint the inside of my bonnet, should that be heat resistant too or can I get away with red oxide?

cheers
Alan

This might be of help, not tried it myself though,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_174294_categoryId_165495_langId_-1?cm_vc=IOV4PDPZ1

Offline brixworth-alan

Attack Member
  • The new acquisition
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 22:24:00 »
Thanks for the advice!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal