AuthorTopic: Freelanders in the snow  (Read 5813 times)

Offline carbore

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Freelanders in the snow
« on: January 09, 2010, 21:54:35 »
Hello,

How have you been finding the Freelander in the snow? (With a shovel if you live in the highlands). Mine had been great, Iv not been out loads and Cornwall has not been that bad, but I do live down un gritted lanes and on fresh snow it was fine, compacted snow fine, iced up melted snow fine. It has not slipped a bit, despite cars around it having all sorts of problems. Even pulled a Vauxhall Omega out of a hedge. Drove down our very very icy steep lane with HDC on and it worked a treat. All in all, ideal in this weather.

Also Freelander specific, I think that people who look down on Freelanders forget that traction control is superb as certain "traditional" 4x4 with non locking diffs will spin out. The only advantage "popper" 4x4 have is that they usually have better tyres. That said I specifically chose some AT's with good agressive pattern as I uses the car on wet muddy grass a lot (but the rest of the time is on road) and Im very happy with he way the tyres have worked over the last few days. I cant remember the make, but ill find out.

Something else the "Freelander mockers" forget is things like, my wife is very happy to drive the Freelander (Due to size, comfort etc) and very very happy with it in the snow. I dont the she would be so keen to pop out in the Series (even if it worked).

Everyone else happy.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline AJWB

Attack Member
Re: Freelanders in the snow
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 22:31:30 »
I have to say, I spend a lot of time moaning about my Freelander not being as good as the bigger boys, however in the snow it's been simply excellent. Hasn't thought twice about going where normal cars have got stuck. I think I've been wimping out before it has!

Offline DoubleTop

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 18:51:19 »
same here, I've done miles and miles in the snow and ice over the last few days helping out friends/strangers/ambulance service.

Not missed a beat, the tyres I put on a few months back have been excellent and when the traction control has been needed when pulling it has been simply awesome.

DT.
Currently playing Space Pioneers
on transfer from bootcamp, if this link is used my account is credited with 25 premium points

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 21:12:09 »
I am a diehard Discovery owner, but I would say that the Freelander will be BETTER than many "proper" 4x4's in the snow and ice!

They are lighter and coupled with proper technique they should be great.
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:45:33 »
Remeber that having more road bias tyres is a good thing in snow.

MT's are bobbins compaired to AT's and agressive road bias tyres (just google snow tyres and look at the tread patterns if you don't belive me)
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:49:13 »
Remeber that having more road bias tyres is a good thing in snow.

MT's are bobbins compaired to AT's and agressive road bias tyres (just google snow tyres and look at the tread patterns if you don't belive me)

Indeed. My 90 on Kumho KL71's slides around all over the place. Great fun though, once you unclench after the first big slide  :lol:

The Freelander on BFG AT's is simply awesome.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 15:58:00 »
For some stupid reason I swapped the bfg at copies over for the simex a couple of days ago. Gone from awesome grip to f all and sliding all over the place  :rolleyes:  Too bloody cold to swap em back...
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 11:28:37 »
I know from experience that BFG A/Ts are pretty much the best all round tyre you'll find anywhere. Really wish I hadn't swapped to Insa Dakars, although the extra grip in mud is handy on occasion.

I'm reliably informed that you want A/Ts on a Freelander as M/Ts will confuse the traction control
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline landy_bug

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 11:32:52 »
freelander is great and good fun in the snow, i got AT2's on mine. have been stuck once but that was me being cocky as i had only got it stuck once before in deep mud. :doh: great all rounder if you know how the HDC and TC work otherwise you will get stuck fast i have seen a few freelanders struggling in the icy conditions but that was down to driver :lol:
quiet roads, snow and a bit of throttle and the freelander is very controlable sideways :D :D
LIFE IS A WATE OF TIME AND TIME IS A WASTE OF LIFE, SO GET WASTED ALL OF THE TIME AN YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

1981 Series 3 3.0 V6 (deceased)
2005 Freelander TD4 Commercial

Offline andyhubbard

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 16:41:13 »
So good i was asked to use it for work transporting doctors about out of hours and i'm AT2s at the minute,mind i'm thinking of going upto 205/80x16?.

Offline Freelander1980

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 00:16:58 »
Freelander was greta fun in the snow right up to the point that i put new tyres on the front of the freelander and due to credit crunch had to go for a lower budget tyre than i have in the past

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 14:37:34 »
NEVER PUT NEW TYRES ON THE FRONT OF A FREELANDER, ALWAYS FIT THEM TO THE REAR!! FAILURE TO DO SO CAN RESULT IN CATASTROPHIC DAMAGE TO THE VCU AND/OR IRD AND REAR DIFF.
MSA Radio: Worcester1

Offline Freelander1980

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 15:45:15 »
There was no point as there was no thread difference as the rear were replaced very recently

Offline cooper956

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 22:28:36 »
even though the gf`s freelander tc is not working was still ok in the snow even if she wouldnt drive it on avon at`s my disco is runing  my 2nd set of insa dakars and i couldnt falt them in the snow my 109 runs on 9,00x16`s that so im told come from the nowegen army and are the best tyres iv ever used in snow must be made for it also very good in mud ect i was still geting up my feild to feed the sheep i at least a foot of snow uphill m8s light w strugled like mad. u can see the patten on the tyre on the bonnet
disco 300tdi xs
109 pickup
caseih 956 turbo 4x4
ih b-275
jd 355
plus banger cars and race cars lol
get in hold on and shut up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal