AuthorTopic: your thoughts please  (Read 3024 times)

Offline muddyjames

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
your thoughts please
« on: January 08, 2010, 13:17:32 »
on this!  :D

I have been thinking about another landy for ages but not got round to it. too late now I know for the snow but as I have been without my other 4x4 since before xmas I am truly cheesed off, so was looking about and found this!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201001349542940/sort/priceasc/usedcars/make/land_rover/model/series_iii/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/nn113ny/quicksearch/true?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2Fusedcars%2Fpostcode%2Fnn113ny%2Fradius%2F1500%2Fmake%2Fland_rover%2Fmodel%2Fseries_iii%2Fpage%2F1%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc%2Fquicksearch%2Ftrue&logcode=p
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline landy_bug

Attack Member
Re: your thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 14:49:33 »
tax exempt  :D chassis looks like it may need work but if thats an original engine it has v. low miles. price could do with a haggle tho. don't know what others thoughts are but i ended up having to scrap a chassis that looked better than that from underneath as it was rotten on top of the rails in lots of places.
LIFE IS A WATE OF TIME AND TIME IS A WASTE OF LIFE, SO GET WASTED ALL OF THE TIME AN YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

1981 Series 3 3.0 V6 (deceased)
2005 Freelander TD4 Commercial

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 14:51:24 »
ok i've limited knowledge of any landrovers but this is what i see (i've a 200Tdi Series3 myself that i built)

one rear bumpstop is hanging off so i'd check the rest of the chassis (i'd check it anyway), it looks to have parabolics on the front with standard leaf springs on the rear (just looked again and both bumpstops are peeling) beware of rot in the rear half of that chassis!!

i'm not sure but it could actually be a later than 72 model as the windscreen vents appear to be the post 74 short ones (dash top could have been changed tho, mines gaffer taped to [!Expletive Deleted!])....

no mention of an overdrive although it does mention "a" disco diff (you need to ensure it has two to use in 4wheel drive), i can see freewheel hubs fitted so with them switched to 2x4 you can still use low ratio but that's not much help if you intend to go offroad with it ...

bulkhead "looks" ok but still wants checking, no pedal rubbers from what i can see, check the door tops...

check it changes gear nicely and doesn't hop out of second on the over run (common failing apparently, mine does) and a full days work to change the gearbox, 2a gearbox, so you'll need to learn to double the clutch when shifting (short of synchro's) but supposed to be stronger than most of the S3 boxes....

mileage on the clock could easily be plus 100k miles, i'd be more interested in the mileage that the engine has done but it'll be hard to prove/disprove (does it need a cambelt etc ?? ), i'd want a good look round it to see how the swap has been done and how tidy/thoughtful it is

check to see if the front pulley has clashed with the axle tube, mine did and it starts to smash the pulley (cast iron) and leaves grooves in the tube, normal cure is to fit extended bumpstops, i lifted my engine by 7-8mm and put the pulley on the lathe, no extended stops on mine as yet and may fit 109 front shackles to give me a little more clearance...

that's about all i can see as he should have at least cleared the snow off it and given a better description and more pictures (engine bay anyone ?? )...

personally i think it's price is a bit on the high side (£500 too much really) but with the mention of vat i guess he's a dealer of some sort and maybe doesn't know too much about landys, really you could do with someone going to look with you that has an idea of what he's looking at ...

just noticed that it was either a truck cab or ragtop or split tail gate at some time as i can see the latches for the drop tail gate

hope that helps
Pete
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 15:04:38 by NiteMare »
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 15:22:17 »
Hi Pete.

thanks very much for your info.

I have had 2 series 3's before but I have this magnetic attraction to cars that fall appart when I buy them so as you say, another person in the know would be handy!

My "dream" landy at the mo is this. a tax exempt series 3 with a 200tdi engine in. I can tow my caravan with it then. It isnt a very heavy caravan though! wouldnt tow a twin axle! lol

I am hoping he replies back with his location as that isnt mentioned on the advert either! May go and look this sunday if he is about.

I do know of a 200tdi engine that I could proabbly buy off a friend who has a 90 sitting about rotting away further! It is way too hard for me to think about doing a convertion myself though if I find a great condition series 3. I dont like series 2's due to the dash board. I hate looking in the centre for the speedo. It is a tall order for what I am after I know!

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 15:43:08 »
just looked at bump stop pics again and how did that pass an mot in november? surely rust doesnt happen that fast?

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 17:51:03 »
Over priced for what it is. if it was on a galv chassis then maybe, otherwise I reckon no more than about £1000.

The bump stops peeling off isn't necessarily a sign of chassis corrosion. My 88" has a couple missing and the chassis is sound underneath.

If I were you I'd do the engine conversion myself, if you buy a car with a non standard engine you never know just how it was bodged in there, what they did and din't replace when they put it in etc. That comes from my own experience with my 2.5Di transit engined 88"  I was chasing the bodges for a couple of years after I bought it.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 18:09:07 »
who would I go to, to get a convertion done? not my local garage I wouldnt have thought? :-(

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 21:18:42 »
At £1995 that makes mine worth loads,you can have mine for 2500! Late 2a with 200 tweaked,recon s3 box ,o/d, rangy axles, 44 mpg and had it up to 110 mph ,anacondas and painted chassis!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline kevinragman

Attack Member
  • Done and very happy!!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 00:26:24 »
 :DPaul, if I'd got £2500 lying about, I'd buy yours!!  That car is SWEET :D
1980 Series 111 Safari lwb, Needs love!!
1998 Suzuki Swift 3 pot auto!
Lots to do.......
Only one lifetime to do it.......
www.wackyracers.org.uk

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 06:52:13 »
if I had £2500 I would buy your too but I dont! budget is 1k less  :'(

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 13:30:32 »
who would I go to, to get a convertion done? not my local garage I wouldnt have thought? :-(

On your driveway? in your garage?

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 15:17:20 »
the engine swap is not that difficult if you have a bit of an idea ...

the 200tdi drops in really easily, i did my swap in 3.5-4 days including making the front half of my exhaust (downpipe and flange), modded the rad panel and chopped the disco rad/intercooler frame (only 10 welds or less to mount it all up using 1" angle) ...

the only thing is being as it's my daily driver and my very first landy i needed it back on the road quick so missed out the drilling on the flywheel housing (it was too late once the engine was sat in there)....

my next one (1965 series 2a) i'll take a little more time over as it's a very clean car and a 109  which may throw 1 or 2 minor differences at me to work out, plus i want this one fitted 100% as opposed to 98% (drilling)...

a few more bits to collect then i'll be starting work on it, spare bulkhead to repair first and i "should" be ready to crack on, i'm expecting a month to 6 weeks after the bulkhead is sorted so with luck and a little better cash flow it'll be on the road April/May time..

bits i already have ..
disco engine and parts
a pair of 4.3:1 diffs for it
overdrive
front springs
bulkhead to rebuild
outrigger
rear crossmember
A post foot

needs and possibles...
rear springs
4 shocks
footwells
small expansion tank
assorted turbo piping (maybe a 300Tdi turbo)
tubing to build an exhaust
paint for bulkhead
anything that i haven't yet come across that'll need sorting

i'd also like to fit some noise suppression material (Dynamat ?? ) to the bulkhead/floor panels/tunnel and seatbox to minimise the "sing" in the cab hopefully

my next one, "Big Ears"

link to most of the problems i've found
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh311/NiteMare_08/My%201965%20109/

p.s.
i built my last one outside my garage in the open, i'll be doing this one the same
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 15:20:59 by NiteMare »
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 19:42:53 »
Nice wagon but you want to put 3.5 diffs in,trust me your need em!!!  Nice to see a good leafer instead of those nasty coiler things!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 19:55:39 »
i have a pair of 3.5 diffs, but because of the extra weight i'm going to try the 4.3 diffs first, i have an overdrive that'll be getting fitted for the motorway miles ....

this one will only be going on gentle green lanes as i don't want to knock it about, my 88" is my hooligan tool and abuser :)

this pulled a Mitsu L200 and a Vitara out of the sticky stuff today  :grin:
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal