AuthorTopic: 3.9 vogue caput suggestions?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline kizz81

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
3.9 vogue caput suggestions?
« on: January 05, 2010, 02:10:13 »
hello,
i have just aquired / brought a 1993 range rover vogue from a friend which most could say was a bad buy considering i know how its been treated  :lol:  but it makes an ideal cheap rangy for the cheap car rallys such as the scally rally and maybe even the landy rally
the problem is the range rover was last seem working in perpinquone [ no idea how to spell it ] and the rac shipped it to calais then i trailered it back to welsh pool for a friend then after eing looked at in calais they worked out it wasnt the clutch and charged the previous owner 1000 for the previlage and when we got therre it was in bits and gear box is out ... now its in welsh pool it has been suggested ( possibly on some tinkering knowlegde ) that its the cam shaft,
im not sure but what i do know from seeing it was that about 2000 miles ( 6 days  :lol: :lol: ) before it died there was a oil burning smell, and it was going through about 2 litres of oil a day bearing in mind on average 400 miles a day
then about 1000 miles before it finally died it randomly wouldnt turn on on top of the fuel pass in switserland symtoms, of a flat battery turning over slowly, but not firing ( was assumed that it was ecu as flat  battery was simply not possible, about half hour after stopping it started working again, when it finally died fortunatly he was in convoy, they were going along the motoway and it cut out, then was turning over slowly even with two other vehicles connected to it ( which sounds the same as a scrap range rover i brought earlier last year and we changed the starter motor and it started ) theres no rods through the block and its been said that there were no bangs when it stopped,
as a helpful clue i was in it in may time when a fan belt snapped which over heated the water and blew a top house majorly over heating the engine, which lead to a 1000 pound head rebuild and since then a oil burning smell,
anyone any ideas?
if anyone wants to come and help ill have it in mansfield in a week or so

cheers kieran
p.s i will be keeping this rangy not scrapping her
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: 3.9 vogue caput suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 13:22:40 »
Kizz I'm confused, whyon earth was someone looking at the clutch when it sounds like an obvious engine problem :-k
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 17:42:46 »
ive no idea, they were french [ answer any questions?]  im still half suspecting that if i put a new starter motor on it it will start but then that doesnt explain why it died :-k
shame i sold the only decent engine i had  :lol:
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 19:59:15 »
Start by trying the bits you have then, put a decent starter and battery on it, see what happenss.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Rossko

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 16:22:33 »
Loss of oil (for whatever reason) has now caused engine seizure ?
GLASS

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 12:43:00 »
it's easy enough to take the rocker covers off to see what's happening in there, that'd show if the cam is fine, you could take the plugs out and stick a bit of dowel down each hole to check each piston is moving correctly.

Burning oil would be rings or stem oils seals wouldn't it?  Although you didn't say it was actually burning the oil, what does the coolant look like? is there oil over the outside of the engine?

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 22:50:28 »
Solved
Multiple head gasket failure, and a knakerd starter motor
it has simply just sat there all summer while i have been busy like a mad man doing shows and other stuff had an offer from matt savage to buy the front timing cover and oil pump for a decent price, have to drain the oil, there was more water than oil,
oil loss caused by head gasket,
if only the ex owner had checked it before setting off on a 3000 mile trek i wouldn't own it now  :lol:
decided not to sell engine bits and strip it and see how bad it is

www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal