AuthorTopic: Serpentine belt and tensioner  (Read 1645 times)

Offline andrew2986

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
  • Referrals: 0
Serpentine belt and tensioner
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:19:14 »
Hiya all hope you all had a good christmas..

Although mine is a disco thought I might get a better response in the range rover section

A Question....
I have removed all the air conditioning from my truck. (97 3.9 serpentine V8 Disco 1) but at the moment still have the A/C compressor fitted but would like to remove it. Obviously Im going to need a shorter serpentine belt but what tensioner should I fit? Do I need one that pushes out rather than in or can I keep my current one? Any one give me some pointers so I know what to ask for when I ring Paddocks or Rimmers  ????

Cheers all

Andy
Modified V8 Discovery....now dead.. :(
300TDI slowly being rebuilt
P38 4.6 My only working landrover :)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
Re: Serpentine belt and tensioner
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:43:01 »
Cheers for that,  I  thought there might have been a model of 3.9 without aircon, (all mine have had aircon though :?)

Andy

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 14:49:34 »
Was it just a case of re drilling the tensioner ? or did you re tap the block/head?

Andy

Offline charlie420

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 20:20:06 »
i removed the aircon on mine a 97 pre thor v8 and just had to fit a shorter belt, but then when i swapped the alternator for a 150 amp off a newer v8 i had to swap the whole alternator mount and ended up with a 2005mm long belt.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 19:25:08 »
IIRC the tensioner works the other way round, perhaps the 300TDi tensioner? but you also need a roller that has a multi-vee surface because the tensioner pushes out.  I had one from a Disco that I bought for the block, but like many things it was lost in the fire so I can't go and look at it, I had trouble finding details in the manuals though.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal