AuthorTopic: Bulkhead removal  (Read 1708 times)

Offline brixworth-alan

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • The new acquisition
  • Referrals: 0
Bulkhead removal
« on: November 22, 2009, 12:17:45 »
Hi All, I'm taking the bulkhead off so I can get it fettled, and wondering what the least painful way to remove a steering column is?

The manual seems to suggest taking the steering wheel off and sliding the whole bulkhead up and over the end- this seems a bit silly, not to mention the manpower is restricted to just myself.

Any suggestions?

cheers

Alan

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
Re: Bulkhead removal
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 13:08:17 »
well looking in the haynes book on page 157 there's an exploded diagram ...

i think you should be able to remove the column and box with the bulkhead in situ, remove the drop arm and unbolt the column  from the support bracket (No. 78) and support bracket (No.70)...

alternatively unbolt the steering box from the support bracket (No. 78) and remove it complete with the bulkhead, seen quite a few on ebay still attached, it'll be a 2 man job unless you have an engine hoist to lift it with, then you can remove all the bits at your leisure
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 13:47:27 »
last time I removed a bulkhead, I took it off with the steering box insitu, drop arm off, unbolt it from the suppport bracket etc, just as ^^^ he said.

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 15:17:13 »
Undo the bracket in side,undo the bolts that hold it on to chassis bracket and split one of the track rod ends and wiggle her out! ps Take the steerin wheel off first!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 09:47:31 »
I worked on one that was off the car. The only thing I can add is that the drop arm on the steering box is very difficult to get off, my normal gear puller wouldnt budge it (with heat+WD40 etc) and I subsequently found that most people recomend a special puller. I was also told no to whack it with a hammer as this ruins the bearings.

Thefore any method which does not necessitate the removal of that drop arm must be good, unless you have a puller!
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline brixworth-alan

Attack Member
  • The new acquisition
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 15:17:22 »
Bulkhead is off now! In the event, rather than take off the steering column it was much easier to take off the steering wheel and with an assistant slide the whole assembly up and over it. The handbrake kinda got in the way but by judiscious tipping, fiddling and swearing it worked a treat.
Thanks for all the advice!

Next steps are now to separate grearbox and engine (the clutch is frozen solid) and get the bulkhead away for welding.

cheers!

Alan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal