AuthorTopic: Help please.....  (Read 3308 times)

Offline andyhubbard

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Help please.....
« on: November 08, 2009, 19:28:22 »
Went out today and watched a bit of off-roading and decided that i want to make the Freebie a bit more off road friendly,so where can i get a lift kit,roof rack andpossibly a snorkel.Forgot to mention it's a 2.5v6,cheers in advance Andy.

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
Re: Help please.....
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 22:57:14 »
Andy,
try going to the Freelander Club forum, as there are various people there who will point you in the right direction.

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Freelander_Club/index.php?
MSA Radio: Worcester1

Offline andyhubbard

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 07:51:53 »
Hi Graham, i'm already a member but for some reason it won't let me log in even though i know i'm putting in the right username and password,cheers anyway.

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 12:20:47 »
Andy, I thought you were. I had the same problem recently, but it seems to have rectified itself.
MSA Radio: Worcester1

Offline andyhubbard

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 13:20:06 »
Thanks - i'll have another go then.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 11:02:53 »
Hello, Interms of Priority if I was to "off road" my Freelander  (other than the daily green lane /field duties) I would be thinking about

Tyres (and maybe wheels so I could have a every das set and a serious set, to reduce petrol bills/noise/aiud comfort etc)
Sump Guard
Exhaust Guard
Driver Training (the most important part of a car is the driver IMHO)
Rear revovery point (e.g. appropriate tow bar, but id check that)
And maybe a lift
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline andyhubbard

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 11:19:46 »
Hi carbore i agree with what you say and am pleased on your list i'm on my way:-

Tyres - now running 215/70x16 Grabber AT2's.
Sump guard - made a copy of the original out of alloy plate.
Exhaust guard - reminded me of a job i need to do.
Driver trg. - have done a few courses.
Recovery - front original tow point and on the rear i've mounted a 5 tonne towball with a seperate pin.
So that just leaves the lift?.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 12:49:06 »
Splended!  Re roofrack, iv got a Brownchurch one that is very good see http://www.brownchurch.co.uk/91racksystem.html

Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)

Offline andyhubbard

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 13:46:43 »
Looks a nice neat item, am i right in thinking it uses the original front/rear roofbar mounts?

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 17:03:58 »
Yes it uses the fixing points that the normal rails bolt into (comes supplied with stainless allen head bolts). A possiblw critisism is that this  open up that area to the weather, but I put lots of copper grease in when fitting. It also has some stoppers that sit on the rear of the roof on a drain strip for extra support on the rear.

Its a very solid item and seems to be the best on the market for total capacity/solidity.

They do affect MPG though (all racks do) so its not something to have on if you dont use it very much

Offline Rockin Robin

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 18:52:09 »
An exhaust guard will lower your ground clearance again. I can confirm from experience with a TD4 and a KV6 that the original back box is extremely tough and, if you did happen to damage it, it’s probably cheaper to replace than the cost of an exhaust guard. An exhaust guard will not fit if you have a tow bar, although I believe the Mantec exhaust guard can be modified to fit. If you don’t use the tow bar for towing, then the Mantec guard has a Class III receiver point for recovery and (demountable) winch mounting.

Ground clearance is an issue on the Freelander, and one of the best modifications I did to mine (after tyres and a Mantec sump guard) was a 2” lift. Do a search for Tornado Motorsport. Dave there is manufacturing a good quality Freelander lift kit for around a hundred quid or so. If you’re going for a 2” lift, budget for a set of extended brake hoses as well. You may also want to fit camber pins to correct the front wheel camber. A complete kit (including hoses and camber pins) is available at a price from Bearmach.

The general consensus is that the Freelander will float before a snorkel is required - although they do look the part. I did Violets Lane in my TD4 a couple of years back, and it floated quite well! It would be advisable to fit extended breathers to your Auto box and rear diff, though.

Come and chat to us on the MAD Freelander site if you want any other ideas.

Offline landy_bug

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 18:35:12 »
i can also vouch for MAD freelanders as well as also a member. i spoke to dave at tornado last week and he has a few lift kits left but said hes in process of selling the right for them so be quick!  i rum AT2's and find them great good road grip too, but quite soft compound as they are wearing quicker than some other brands but as i said the grip on road is good too. extend the breathers as they will suck the water in in the deeper stuff. sump guard is essential i am still running the original plastic one and cracked it on the plains. don't worry about the rear silencer tho as this will take alot of pounding before it gives up. check out mad freelanders tho for some of the most extreme freelanders about or check out the original extremelander of big G's on you tube, type in extremelander to see what can be done with one

chris
LIFE IS A WATE OF TIME AND TIME IS A WASTE OF LIFE, SO GET WASTED ALL OF THE TIME AN YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

1981 Series 3 3.0 V6 (deceased)
2005 Freelander TD4 Commercial

Offline andyhubbard

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 10:10:19 »
Is it possible to fit 205/80x16 tyres without any mods as i'm thinking it should lift but without castor/camber issues?, as usual i expect to be wrong :roll:,cheers Andy.

Offline Rockin Robin

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 10:26:19 »
Hi Andy ... yes 205/80/16's will fit with no modifications.

To be honest, the camber isn't an issue. I fitted the pins 'cos they came with the kit, but on my TD4 I didn't have camber correction pins and the wheels straightened themselves out once the vehicle had a chance to "settle down".

Offline andyhubbard

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 14:25:43 »
Thanks Robin, so with the tyres and the 2'' lift how much as your freebie lifted?

Offline Rockin Robin

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 17:27:42 »
Just over 3" (assuming standard fitment 215/65/16's) 

Offline andyhubbard

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 18:51:43 »
OK thanks - not sure which way to go tyre wise now :doh:,it's either 215/65x16 or 205/80x16. As i already have 215/70x16 but the good news is i'm picking up a lift kit from Tornado on Monday as they are only 30 miles from me. :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal