AuthorTopic: How to apply stickers  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Andy.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
How to apply stickers
« on: August 03, 2003, 13:42:27 »
What is the correct technique for applyings stickers.

Do you just peel and stick or use some sort of solution first.
If a solution is used what is this made up from (ratio wise).

I'm sure either Tim or Neil will be able to help me out here :lol:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
How to apply stickers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 13:49:46 »
as long as the surface is clean you're half way there.

also

if its similar to how the doc stickers are to be applied, press the back of the sticker and warm up with your hands then apply (then again with this weather you dont need to warm it up.)

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
How to apply stickers
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 14:46:28 »
OK, some notes below... I've tried to be comprehensive,  so there's a lot of text, but it's actually a very simple process.

It's best done on a warm (not hot) day, when there is no wind.

The sitcker is made up of 3 parts :

Backing Paper (thick paper with printing on the back)
Sticker Vinyl (The actual sticker design)
Application Tape (a semi-transparent paper)

Make sure you have a clean surface... watch out for dead flies, etc...

There are a few ways to apply the sticker, depending on the size and how confident you are :-)

Get yourself an old credit card, or stiff piece of card.  A pair of scissors maty also be helpful as will some masking tape for some methods

OK....

Dry application methods

For Small Stickers

Carefull peel away the backing paper of the sticker.  The vinyl graphic should be lifted off, staying on the application tape.  Take all of the backing paper off.

Start at one end, and stick the edge of the application tape to the vehicle.  Working from this end, slowly run your hand along the sticker, pushing it smoothly down until it's stuck on the vehicle.  

Using your card, rub over the area of the sticker, from the middle-outwards, pushing any air bubbles out from under the vinyl.

Finally, peel back the application tape being careful that the vinyl is staying on the vehicle.  Pay close attention to full stops, dots, commas, etc.

For larger text-only stickers

Leaving the backing paper on the sticker, get it lined up in position on the vehicle.  (Note: if you are taking measurements, always measure from the baseline of the text rather than the top.  Use small pieces of masking tape in the corners to help you.

When you are happy with the position,  tape the top edge of the sticker to the vehicle.

With a pair of scissors, cut the sticker into 'slits' from the bottom-upwards.  (Don't cut through the masking tape !)

Now, peel the backing paper off each letter, one at a time and smooth the vinyl onto the vehicle.

Remove the application tape.

Wet application method

For any sticker, especially suited to large graphics

Mix up a solution of soapy water (washing up liquid will do) the ratio is not critical, but don't go mad... you're not doing the washing up !

Spray or sponge the mixture over the area on which the sticker is to be applied, be generous.

Remove the backing paper from the sticker... if it's big... get a friend to help !

Lay the sticker on the wet area, you should be able to slide it around to get it lined up properly.

Using your card, work out all the water and air from underneath the vinyl... this will take some time, especially on larger graphics.

Leave the sticker for 10-15 minutes or so to dry.  (This will depend on the ambient temperature)

Carefully remove the application paper.  (Note: if the graphic has not dried completely it is more likely to lift off the vehicle as you remove the application paper. You may continue, but more care will be needed.  You may choose to allow the sticker longer to dry.)

That's about it.  Doubtless there will be other methods and tips which people can offer.. if you need more advice, please contact any of the Muddyweb team.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
How to apply stickers
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 16:14:18 »
Cheers Tim :D

By the way I take it the new logo ones have the web address on as well :?:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
How to apply stickers
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 16:19:40 »
applause to tim

if anyone knows stickers its him!

hehe

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
How to apply stickers
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 16:53:50 »
Quote from: "dyfed"
applause to tim

<Tim Blushes>

Yes, the stickers are an exact match with the logo, web address and all.  The dimensions given are ther overall dimensions of the sticker from splodge to splodge as it were, so on the small variant the web address is quite small.

Cheers,
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline stefan

Attack Member
How to apply stickers
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 17:38:50 »
Two handy tips from me:-

1). When applying the sticker make sure your Landy is level, although the sticker may be, the Landy may not (I have proof).

2). When using a credit card to smooth out the bubbles, use Access it's more flexible.

:lol:

Stef
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

1988 Land Rover 90 County SW 200 Tdi
http://www.90county.co.uk
http://www.discoverytd5.co.uk

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
How to apply stickers
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 17:40:52 »
Stef,

I agree about the level bit <whistle>
--
Neil

Offline stefan

Attack Member
How to apply stickers
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 17:44:32 »
Good, I'll mention that to Donna, she thinks it's just my incompetence..............................

Stef
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

1988 Land Rover 90 County SW 200 Tdi
http://www.90county.co.uk
http://www.discoverytd5.co.uk

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
How to apply stickers
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 22:51:33 »
Also make sure its not up-side down, the sticker that is not the Landy :lol:

Believe me its been done  :oops: