AuthorTopic: Daft Q about wings  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Hightower

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Daft Q about wings
« on: October 29, 2009, 19:29:09 »
Once again I have a daft question about the Series.

I need to replace the front wings at some point as they are just a bit too battered.  As such I am on the lookout for some in the usual places.  The Q is whether I can also consider looking at 90/110 wings as well as replacements?  I understand that I'd have to change the front grille as well, but are they a straight swap, or is there alot of work involved?
Simon
1998 Disco Series II Td5 - Not standard
1972 88" Series 3 - The project

Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
1st Overall - 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005
3rd Overall - 2007

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Re: Daft Q about wings
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 05:23:08 »
how about some from a litle sesna aeroplane?

Sorry, I will get my coat!
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 08:04:52 »

I need to replace the front wings at some point as they are just a bit too battered.  As such I am on the lookout for some in the usual places.  The Q is whether I can also consider looking at 90/110 wings as well as replacements?  I understand that I'd have to change the front grille as well, but are they a straight swap, or is there alot of work involved?
* Tanglefoot runs for cover before the Series Gestapo come for you! That mod has to be one of biggest crimes on their list.

I have not done it, thought about it a few times though. Whole front defender section is a fairly common mod on series , I seen it a few times and seems an easy thing to do on all accounts. Look at a 1 tonne, that's just a SIII with defender front. Most of the converted series I seen where retro fitted V8 trucks. The measure of my 1953 S1 front panel reveals it's the same width as my 96 Defender... so it's even fit on that.  But you have surely do the whole lot, wings, front panel, slam panel AND bonnet as the series hood will no longer fit (all adds to price if source good condition parts). Would the bulk head bonnet hinges need changing.. think so. Then what about the wheel arch flairs... take them off or fit matching defender ones to rear? It'll radical change the look of your series  :-k
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Hightower

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 10:33:11 »
Not worried about the rivet counter Series purists who wouldn't like to see an imperial nut and bolt replaced with a metric equivalent  [-X

It's just that Defender wings come up for sale regularly and are usually in a better condition and cheaper than their Series equivalents.  Just looking for options I suppose . . . . .
Simon

3rd Overall - 2007

Offline fordlltwm

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 16:52:41 »

I need to replace the front wings at some point as they are just a bit too battered.  As such I am on the lookout for some in the usual places.  The Q is whether I can also consider looking at 90/110 wings as well as replacements?  I understand that I'd have to change the front grille as well, but are they a straight swap, or is there alot of work involved?
* Tanglefoot runs for cover before the Series Gestapo come for you! That mod has to be one of biggest crimes on their list.

I have not done it, thought about it a few times though. Whole front defender section is a fairly common mod on series , I seen it a few times and seems an easy thing to do on all accounts. Look at a 1 tonne, that's just a SIII with defender front. Most of the converted series I seen where retro fitted V8 trucks. The measure of my 1953 S1 front panel reveals it's the same width as my 96 Defender... so it's even fit on that.  But you have surely do the whole lot, wings, front panel, slam panel AND bonnet as the series hood will no longer fit (all adds to price if source good condition parts). Would the bulk head bonnet hinges need changing.. think so. Then what about the wheel arch flairs... take them off or fit matching defender ones to rear? It'll radical change the look of your series  :-k
i think you mean a Stage One, a one tonne was a six cylinder series with big tyres and suspension and an even higher fuel bill.

What you could do is get a set of Defender / 90/110 wings and drill the insides to match up to a standard Series grill, that'd be one solution
1983 series 3 resto project

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 17:39:58 »

i think you mean a Stage One

:doh: that's the one cheers. I remember seeing my first one and not previous heard of them and wondering what on earth I was looking at... a defender on leafers with a lush grill and galv body cappings but SIII inside...
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 16:44:09 »
"daft Q about wings"

if you legetimatly dont know the answer to a question then how is it daft? if isa part of the leaning prosess.

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 23:54:46 »
With a bit of fiddling you could fit 90 /110 items. but the cut out for the arch isn't like the series one

Or....

It is still poss to buy the gen items new. Outer wing skins are about 55 quid + Or Second hand items do appear on the bay every now and again.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 23:22:00 »
to me it seems a pointless exercise swapping the wings for later coil sprung ones when you consider the extra costs involved for a bonnet and grill to match  (IF they are needed)

i regularly see Series3 wings on ebay and assorted forums at not too much money

p.s.
"battered" is usually described as "character"  :D
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline Hightower

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 23:59:07 »
"battered" is usually described as "character"  :D

If they were just a bit dented along the sides then I'd agree, but the ones on the car are pretty mashed up at the front which means it's going to be a pig to get them straight enough again to take the lights pointing in the right direction.
I have since found some S3 wings which are descibed as straight.  Will see in the morning and report back . . . .  ;)
Simon

3rd Overall - 2007

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal