AuthorTopic: s3 engine swap advise please  (Read 1409 times)

Offline mud4brains

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
s3 engine swap advise please
« on: October 22, 2009, 06:12:28 »

Hi all , Ive had my s3 for around 7 years now, its a 88 , 2.25 petrol, shes been great, never lets me down, However i am getting hacked off with the fuel bill, and it being abit crap in the water..

im thinking of doing a deisel conversion,  what i would like to know is what deisel lump will bolt straight upto a s3 petrol g/box???

cheers

mark
landrover , repairs and modifacations undertaken
located in surrey
pm for details
cheers
mark

Offline richV8

Attack Member
Re: s3 engine swap advise please
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 18:39:38 »
That sort of depends what you man by bolt staright up, the 200tdi is a nice conversion I think you only need to remover onbe stud from your gearbox to fit that so almost straight bolt on, other wise a 2.25 diesle but there pretty poor to be honest and i think the 2.5td really falls under the same category, have a search on the 200di conversion on google there is a really good build thread for that showing the bits you need to fab up, then you can easily get a turbo down pipe to match up probvably the best way to go in my opinion.
Hope this helps and have a search abotu this is a pretty well covered question.
:thumbs:
Rich

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 19:53:33 »
200 all the way!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Amma

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 20:06:23 »
Well, I'm about to fit a 200Tdi into my 109" from a Discovery and have found that the turbo is going to be a bit of a pain.

:roll:

If you are able to get a 200Tdi engine from a Defender it'll go in without any real problems. As mentioned already there is a stud that would probably need to be removed from the bellhousing of the gearbox and I have been told that the engine mounts need a bit of changing too.

Not only that but the hoses would probably need a bit of modification too as the Series doesn't have an oil cooler or intercooler.

Mine is changing from a 2.5 five main bearing engine, but since I have just rebuilt the whole vehicle I imagine that a little engine swap shouldn't be an issue.

:? :roll: 8-[
1969 One-Ton replica now with 200Tdi power.

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 22:16:57 »
ok 88" or 109" the engine will fit in the S3 nice and easily, 88" there's little to no problem using the engine as it came from the Disco (my 88" was already a diesel) minus one stud from the flywheel housing, use the disco pressure plate and the Series 9.5" friction plate ...

i binned the downpipe from the turbo as it gets in the way of the chassis and made my own flange (out of 8mm plate) and downpipe...

i used petrol engine rubbers and a 4mm spacer above and below each to lift the engine a little, you'll see why as on articulation the crank pulley hits the axle tube i also turned the rear V off the crank pulley....

i used the disco radiator and framework, i cut the frame and staggered/welded it, turned the i/cooler upside down and cut 1-1.5" off the new top connector to allow pipe clearance, then trimmed the "breakfast" to accomodate it all, bolted the rad frame to the relay , welded a couple of pieces of angle to the x-member to also attach it to, cooling was accomplished using a Citroen bx push fan, header tank came from a Volvo 740, cooling pipes were a cut and shut job with bit's of steel pipe inserted into the hoses as needed using good quality jubilee clips...

i cut my inner wing panel for the turbo pipe but some folks "clock" the turbo to save the cutting, my wings are rough and i knew nothing of "clocking" at the time...

being a diesel i had to add in another switched feed for the stop solenoid, petrols don't need this feed...

save the alt' mount off the Series engine as it will bolt straight to the Disco block but needs a spacer behind it to shift it all forwards to align the pulleys and use the Series adjustment bar (you'll work that bit out yaself)....

if you have non assisted brakes, plug the vacuum pump on the disco engine ...

straight thru exhaust built out of scrap pipes from the local fitters and away you go  :D

my swap took me 3.5 days to fit in and another half day to complete the exhaust following the original route just cutting and shutting scrap pipe

you can use the disco alternator on the Series mount once "clocked" or stick with the original, your choice, glowplugs don't need connecting on mine as it starts real easy....

109" i believe the chassis rails are deeper so gives complications with the turbo needing space the chassis occupies, simplest solution is to acquire a 300Tdi manifold and turbo from what i understand as they sit higher up the side of the block giving the required clearance (this will be my next project on my '65 109 S2a) ...

pictures of my 88" conversion  (forget the pug airbox, blocks up too quickly) airfiltration is now done by a 90" filter and housing  http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh311/NiteMare_08/Zebedee/

hope this helps
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 22:23:06 by NiteMare »
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 20:32:03 »
Concerning the disco turbo ,you just pull the inner wing out by an inch,job done! With the down pipe,use a second hand disco 200 system to fab one up,about a tenner from craddocks. use the joining triangle,enlarge the holes a little,cut the flared pipe off at 4 1nchs,pass through the triangle and fab ur down pipe,job done! It couldnt be easier!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal