AuthorTopic: Still won't go!  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Dave123

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Still won't go!
« on: October 17, 2009, 16:31:20 »
Afternoon everybody! Trevor, the S3 is still in a sorry state.. I posted a thread about this a while back but nothing ever got solved, I've got it down to the clutch for definite, but still unsure why it won't go into gear! I've replaced the Master cylinder today, and all I feel is left is slave cylinder or clutch fork pin possibly?

The pedal is very good since I fitted a new master cylinder, It's very heavy and you can feel the resistance all the way through the travel (The pedal was soft until I bled it...) unlike it used to be even after bleeding,  So now I'm stuck!

Do I change the slave cylinder and hope it's that? I'm hoping I don't have to pull the gearbox Due to lack of space. :x

I really want this done before Thursday because that's when I have my test and want to be able to drive it in-case i do pass! It's been terrible learning and not being able to drive it! I have a real passion for the landy's and have done since I was tiny but getting more and more hacked off!  :(

P.S Bear in mind the clutch dissapeared overnight!  :roll:
Pull my finger :D

Offline tack43

Attack Member
    • Worcs, Redditch
Re: Still won't go!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 20:59:22 »
Has it been sat a while? If so the clutch plate may have rusted to the flywheel. To test this chock wheels, put it in gear, handbrake on, clutch down and try to start engine. It may unstick with a bang! The fact you get some resistance on the clutch pedal suggests it's working although I would change the slave cylinder whenever I change the master - could be why the pedal went overnight. Did the fluid level go down?

Hope this helps

Rich
Rich

1985 90 300TDI "Defender" SOLD.
1990 RRC 3.9 Vogue LPG
1991 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "The spare parts box!" Broken for spares
1993 RRC Off-roader. No engine. Yet!
1991 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "Tempory off-roader" Failed MOT - More spare parts
1992 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "New tempory off-roader" SOLD

Offline Dave123

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 21:24:52 »
 Like I said, the clutch dissapeared overnight. I parked it, went to drive the next day and nothing..

We tried to start it in gear the day it happened and it rolled forward, we also tried to start it today in gear and it rolled forward again so I'm clueless.. I'm puling my hair over it.. There's lots of reasons a clutch could do that But very few over night.. I'll order a slave cylinder and hope that fixes it, if not.. Time to take the Bell-housing off I guess :roll:

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 13:10:23 »
Like I said, the clutch dissapeared overnight. I parked it, went to drive the next day and nothing..

We tried to start it in gear the day it happened and it rolled forward, we also tried to start it today in gear and it rolled forward again so I'm clueless.. I'm puling my hair over it.. There's lots of reasons a clutch could do that But very few over night.. I'll order a slave cylinder and hope that fixes it, if not.. Time to take the Bell-housing off I guess :roll:

doesn't the series bell housing have an inspection plate? think it does :-k maybe you can have a looksee thru that  - dunno what the hell you would see though  :cheesy: 
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Dave123

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 20:14:14 »

doesn't the series bell housing have an inspection plate? think it does :-k maybe you can have a looksee thru that  - dunno what the hell you would see though  :cheesy: 

That's what I've been told! :shock: Bot god Knows where it is! :?

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 20:24:40 »

That's what I've been told! :shock: Bot god Knows where it is! :?

unbolt the transmission tunnel you should see it.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Dave123

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 18:37:43 »
Cheers mate ;) I've found a very nice chap who's offered to let me use his ramps and garage space this weekend, He's also offered to tow the car out to his garage for me to work on it. So it'll get fixed no-matter what!  :twisted:

I shall Update this thread with an answer hopefully in-case anyone experiences the same symptoms...

Once again, Thanks very much for your time, sometimes I'd be lost without this board and the kind and helpful people who make it what it is! :dance:

Offline Dave123

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 20:36:35 »
 :D All fixed, turns out it was the Clutch siezed to the flywheel but don't understand why the pedal wasn't solid! :?

Next problem is that my speed drive is not driving, Whats the common problems here.. It's definatley the drive because I span the cable on the drill ;)

Someone said about the part the cable sits in could be rounded off? Also that the gears have been stripped on the drive and something to do with tightening the nut in the middle of the handbrake?!?!

All I know is it's gonna be a PITA because the main shaft is in the way of one of the screws :evil: So I'll have to pull it right apart!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal