AuthorTopic: Terrano - different versions ?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline richs2891

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Terrano - different versions ?
« on: October 17, 2009, 16:16:14 »
Been looking at terrano's 2 today to replace my swb Shogun

I know I want a swb one as its a play thing for me, and most likely a diesel as my shogun was petrol with lpg and still shocking bad mpg figures. 
Unless any one can convince me that petrol is ok on a terrano as do seem a fair bit cheaper?

Saw a 02 plate Terrano today which I did like and it did seem good value for money but it had manual locking wheel hubs.
I was under the impression all had auto locking wheel hubs ?   
Any ideas?

Cheers

Richard   

Offline Terranosaurus

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Terrano - different versions ?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 20:22:12 »
See my full answer of other forum Rich but for those on here.

All but late Terranos (and Nissan built Mavericks) came with Auto free wheeling hubs, the late models can with solid drive flanges.

Many people have "upgraded" to manuals because they are having trouble with autos. The rings can break but this happens through inproper use. Either engage 4wd gently on the move or if doing it when stationary you need to take up drive slowly initially to allow the hubs to lock in.

What tends to happen is people wander along in 2wd and then get stuck, so the stick it in 4wd and then give it a bit of stick to get it out. If they just took up drive gently before applying a bit of gas there would be no problem - better still anticipate and be in 4wd before you get stuck. The rings are only liable to break as they hubs are being engaged or dissengaed  as once locked in they take no part in the drivetrain.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal