AuthorTopic: Whats a 1992 Pajero like in water?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Fuddy as muck

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Whats a 1992 Pajero like in water?
« on: October 03, 2009, 16:39:09 »
As title, i'm looing to buy another cheap off road toy that i can leave at my local pay and play site for monthly use. I want something comfy (ish) so that the kids can enjoy the trip round :lol:   The Pajero ticks the boxes in cost and comfort but what are they like in water?  Fitting a snorkel is obviously not a problem but i'd like to stay away from Land Rover as i already own a Series Hybrid that is running on coils and a 200tdi.  Cheers in advance for any advise.

Darren

Offline Mutz

Attack Member
  • Norwich, Norfolk.
    • Norwich
Re: Whats a 1992 Pajero like in water?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 01:36:50 »
Check avatar, had Safari snorkel  fitted and have been in water up to bottom of glass.

Advise you remove all carpets, and seal the removable plugs in the floor pan front.

Have sat in water for 30+ mins with water above wheels and only 1/2 inch of water entered in passenger side only.

Biggest problem was the alternator belt slipped off pulley but that could be that i hadnt tightened it correctly.

Other than that you wont be dissapointed.

Oh and get some mud terrain tyres fitted.
1995 300tdi 90 rebuilt and on the road (but still a project)
1992 Pajero SWB 2.5 Auto (failed its MOT and for sale if you want it)

"I Havn't got a Bad Attitude; you just can't handle my personality"

Offline map-man

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 11:24:35 »
other than a snorkel, it's just a case of it being watertight. mine has good door seals and i've siliconed any grommetts i've disturbed and it doesn't let water in.

the weak point is the alternator, they are low down on a 2.5 and don't like getting full of muddy water. 2.8's have it mounted higher and i've gone thru quite a few but now i've got a decent supplier the latest has survived better.

Offline Fuddy as muck

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 08:36:00 »
I'd prefer to buy manual but is the auto a good option too? There seems to be loads more auto ones available.

Darren

Offline Onan The Barbarian

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 06:15:50 »
I'd prefer to buy manual but is the auto a good option too? There seems to be loads more auto ones available.

Darren

The vast majority of Pajeros are automatic, Darren... manual are harder to find.  Personally, I prefer auto... it's one less thing to worry about when the going gets tough!  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal