AuthorTopic: TD5 knackered at 150k?  (Read 12925 times)

Offline Saffy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
  • Referrals: 0
Re: TD5 knackered at 150k?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 20:20:35 »
But oddly therapeutic to get it off my chest on here........!!  Dingocroft think Christmas has come early.  A

your nails might clean up by new year
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline age

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 12:36:58 »
Tadaaa........  we have lift off!!  Spent Friday putting in the new con-rod and bearing.  Glad to say the old one was visibly bent/squashed beside the new one.  Not so pleased to say the new one had (very light) corrosion on the big-end surface (not the bearing shell) and one of the bolts - nearly rounded it taking it out ......  Quick polish and usable - but for £80 I kind of expected better.....

Head on - blimey those head bolts shouldn't be going anywhere - tight or what?  Oh, and do put the cam sprocket in its chain before you drop the head on..... you can do it afterwards, but with about 1 thou clearance, and moving the sprocket one tooth took ages, the chain clings like a limpet once it drops in the teeth!

Spent yesterday on all the peripherals - good chance to have a clean up of the air intake/breather, and get the new regulator all plumbed in.  Skinned a few knuckles, swore a lot at the fiddly bolts.  Seem to be lacking one hoist point at the rear/right of the head (I'd swear there was one there, but no sign of it now - could be entirely my imagination!), and lost one 8mm bolt from the sound panel at the back of the engine - on shopping list.... Nothing else lost or left over!

Filled up - checked round 10 times - putting that key in was the most scary thing I've done in years.  We'd turned it over by hand of course, but you never know......Turned over 4/5 times priming, then some welly and away she went!  Switched off and checked, then a bit longer, then up to temp.  No drama, no leaks (that I can see yet......).  Tickover is a bit London taxi - need to get that new injector programmed in properly very quickly - could be the source, or maybe the compression is better than its been for years.....

Very gentle revs/load for a few hundred miles with that new bearing shell - but seems smooth and plenty of torque - and no smoke or steam at all out the back!!  Woo hoo - as they say - watching out for any teething probs, but looking great so far.

Many thanks for the support/comments - verbal and silent - thanks for putting up with my ramblings.

Lessons?
-don't entrust a head gasket to someone you are not convinced about.  They've long gone and I'd never prove it, but I don't think it was a top job.

- don't drive with a known coolant leak.  I had no choice - my wife's car had a blown engine (acknowledged manufacturing fault thank you!!)  and we had to rely on the Defender, but I'm not sure every top up was a soon as it should have been, and will never be sure I didn't overheat the head....

- don't keep starting it with cylinders filling (doh! - but see 'no choice' as above...) - gasket/coolant was the start, then the pesky 'open' injector' which I think finally blew the remnants of the gasket, so filled right up and hydrauliced the con-rod.... cost me £200 and probably 2 hours (slow) work to replace.

- do it yourself!  With some help from someone with some skills/confidence.  None of it was beyond me - although I am 'mechanically minded' - take it slowly, get it under cover, be methodical, and it all comes off and goes back on.  All the bits in related collections in marked tubs worked fine.

- check the parts at the shop - not just as you are putting them on the engine - its too late then if you are keen to get it rebuilt.

- if you can go for new head (Turners/AMC) for the extra confidence/miles - I'll never know how good a used/exchange might have been, but with hindsight I'm glad I spent the cash.... (the card doesn't come in until 3 weeks -ask me again then....)

Cheers, A

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:39:28 by age »
3 Defenders on and I'd still buy another.....

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 13:19:09 »
 :clap:
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal