AuthorTopic: 1992 Rangerover hydralastic suspension Faulty Can shocks an springs be fitted?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Brett69

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Ok I'm looking at a Range Rover LSE 1992 but the owner says it has faulty suspension. He thinks it maybe one of the rear units faulty an this causes it to be uncomfortable to drive and uneven. Can I remove the factory suspension & fit Shocks an springs or coil over system? I am gonna be using the vehicle for green laning also so want a good ride ect..

Thanks for your help Brett
Have 4wd Need MUD!!!

P38 Range Rover
Power chipped
Bull Bars
Roof Rails
CB Rig
3" Body Lift
32" Goodyear MTR's
Modified Bumpers & exhaust system

Need Snorkel an winch bumpers

Offline ben-dent

Attack Member
whats faulty?? the only Hydralastic bit is the SLS

the centre damper (SLS self leveler system) or is it the Air Suspension faulty, if its the SLS then you can remove it, mine is its brilliant with out it, if oits the Air suspension then yes you cn take it off and fit SHocks and Springs
Ben Haynes

1984(B) Rangie Vouge V8) (DENT)
1986(D) Rangie Vouge CCV Trialer

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Yes, it is an 'off the shelf' conversion

http://www.paddockspares.com/sp/cat/RANGE_ROVER_1986-1994/sub/Suspension/sid/27/sb2/8++Air+to+Coil+Kit.html

As far as I know it is a bolt on conversion
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Brett69

Attack Member
All I've been told is that it's not nice to drive and is very bumpy, maybe doesn't sit level? I may take a gamble on it as that conversion is cheap enough. Do you not need to fit shocks with that conversion or does the air suspension have shock already???

Thanks for your replys  :thumbup:
Have 4wd Need MUD!!!

P38 Range Rover
Power chipped
Bull Bars
Roof Rails
CB Rig
3" Body Lift
32" Goodyear MTR's

Offline trecfive

Attack Member
  • If it fit's the hook it'll pull it.
    • Nuneaton
If it has air suspension,it is most properly on the bump stops. I have the land rover diagnostic kit and willing to interrogate the system for you, send me a PM and we can talk about it.I like the air suspension but others don't.
1. Range Rover Classic 300tdi SE Auto Softdash
2. Range Rover Classic 300tdi SE Auto Softdash, apparently very rare.

Offline Brett69

Attack Member
If it has air suspension,it is most properly on the bump stops. I have the land rover diagnostic kit and willing to interrogate the system for you, send me a PM and we can talk about it.I like the air suspension but others don't.

That's great thanks.I've not brought the vehicle yet but just didn't wanna buy something that couldn't be fixed up. I'll chat with the misses now an see if she'll let me have it  :)
Have 4wd Need MUD!!!

P38 Range Rover
Power chipped
Bull Bars
Roof Rails
CB Rig
3" Body Lift
32" Goodyear MTR's

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Worst case scenario you can take the air springs out and fit new lower spring seats and springs, the dampers are already fitted and as a bonus the front ones are already ahead of the axle not inside the coil.

HOWEVER, when working properly the AES is a good system and will make the car far more capable off-road.  If all that's wrong is a faulty air bag then swap it, if it's a faulty sensor then change it.  You can fit uprated shock to an EAS car but the standard ones are different form coil sprung cars abd you cannot fit longer shock without extra work.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Oli-L

Attack Member
I changed from air to coils about two years ago on my LSE, and it drove / greenlaned fine, perfectly happy with it. Speak to Foundry4x4 they did the kit for mine i spoke to them explaned it was for an LSE  and gave me stffer springs on the back for her heavy back end!!!

http://www.foundry4x4.co.uk/index.htm

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
I've no doubt it drives fine with coils on, but the EAS has a few tricks up it's sleeve that coils simply can't pull off and combined with even the simple traction control fitted to later RRC makes the thing far more capable than earlier unmodified cars.

Plus of course I can have a lift at the touch of a button, it still goes in the garage and it does corners on the road.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal