AuthorTopic: Starter problems  (Read 1316 times)

Offline brixworth-alan

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • The new acquisition
  • Referrals: 0
Starter problems
« on: September 06, 2009, 13:20:50 »
Hi All, The moment came to fire up the engine for the first time in a couple of years and I've fallen at the first hurdle: the starter motor won't turn. This is particularly frustrating as last year it worked!

Pressing the button got no response at all- no clicks, hums or any other signs of life. I've checked the earthing and it appears that the battery terminal on the starter motor shorts directly to earth. Is this a simple thing to fix or will I need to rip the motor out from the engine? The shaft on the motor does turn quite easily so I dont think it's locked in or jammed.

Any ideas chaps?

cheers Alan

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
Re: Starter problems
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 20:39:46 »
Have you tried the battery,the power can reverse its self causing the shorting!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Artwigwa

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 13:02:43 »
Try tapping the solenoid  :D

Offline TBM

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 07:57:47 »
The starter main feed stud 'should' be isolated from the body of the starter which is earthed. It seems that either the stud or the main feed is earthing somewhere. Sometimes the nut on the stud is done up too tightly which causing the main feed to earth on the body.

Remove the main feed and just 'rest' it on the end of the stud. If it starts then it'll be an easy fix. Just get a rubber washer and make sure the feed is isolated from the body of the starter.

If not then you'll have to pull the starter out and either replace or try and find out where it's earthing internally.

Offline brixworth-alan

Attack Member
  • The new acquisition
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 21:57:57 »
Cheers! I tried the last suggestion and there's now some movement :) Thanks for all the suggestions, although I'm on a push starter so no solenoid.

Its turning a bit slow (make that VERY slow) so could very well be a duff battery now as well- all that shorting out probably hasnt done it any good; fortunately it didnt cost me anything.

But it turns, so the shorting is sorted.

One small step forwards!

Offline brixworth-alan

Attack Member
  • The new acquisition
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:03:50 »
Well, it turns over now! Next problem is that I have petrol everywhere in the engine bay except in the carb.... anyone know of a good 'how to...for dummies' giude to Solex carbs?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal