AuthorTopic: Overdrive filling level? leaks, and temperature  (Read 1345 times)

Offline lightweight-love

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Overdrive filling level? leaks, and temperature
« on: August 30, 2009, 16:07:06 »
Im finally getting round to some pesky leaks! im going to replace the top rectangular gasket on the overdrive unit which leaks atm but iv a few questions too...

The oil level dipper which has the notch for the oil line is that the right level when the dipper bolt is screwed into the overdrive? or when you have unscrewed the bolt, cleaned the dipper and then just rested it back inside but NOT screwed it down again?

Also heatwise my overdrive has always got very warm when engaged in 4th doing about 60mph, i know thats bound to happen but i feel it might be just too warm? Im considering a rockymountain transfercase cover that helps reduce the temperature by having cooling fins and may help the overdrive too?

Ta for any advice
1975 s111 lightweight 200tdi, paras, snorkel, winch... My everyday ride
1976 s111 lightweight stock new restoration project :)
1974 s111 Long term restoration project, galv chassis, paras...
"she's not leaking oil, she's marking her territory"

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Re: Overdrive filling level? leaks, and temperature
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 17:58:27 »
Hi, in no particular order, a reply.

The replacement of the OD gasket might work but they have a habit of throwing the oil out of the small hole with the split pin in, The Fairey unit (i assume that is the one you have) does have a smallish amount of oil in it compared to the likes of a RM which shares the T box oil or the Bearmach / Toro unit which just simply has a bigger capacity.
The level mark is for when the Dip stick is screwed in, but it will not do it any harm to have the extra little bit in there just to help keep it all working. As above it will do a good job of throwing it out again.  :roll:

An OD will get warm but again it is dependent on how long you have it engaged for, On a motorway run doing 50 - 60 for hours on end i got to the point where my OD was too warm to touch. and the whole transmission was hot enough to feel a good warmth coming through the tunnel.

If you spend hours at a time doing high speed then the RM cooling cover might help in keeping the T box oil a little cooler. As for the OD it is a self contained unit and so there would be a minimal amount of cooling to it from the RM cover plate.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline lightweight-love

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 23:57:38 »
Cheers for that, so level mark is when screwed in-good! iv wondered that for a while,

Yes im running a fairey unit and i will give a go doing the top gasket but i agree some comes out the little hole no matter what,
I figured although the overdrive is self contained it will pass heat through metal contact but i agree would probably achieve little cooling effect, Winter will help soon enough anyways.
Ta

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:30:38 »
you could modify the top plate vent by drilling it out and threading in a "bleed nipple" from a caliper/slave cylinder and then fitting a high level breather pipe on it in place of the split pin breather idea, that'll slow down the expulsion of oil....

i would still check the level regularly tho
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline lightweight-love

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 17:02:12 »
Im always checking levels as im paranoid about running dry lol
Thats a good idea NiteMare and advisable if you wade that deep really.
Ta for advice as always- id better put in a parts order!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal