AuthorTopic: Series 3 Vin No  (Read 1839 times)

Offline stevethedent

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Sobriety is an illusion caused by a lack of beer
  • Referrals: 0
Series 3 Vin No
« on: July 30, 2009, 09:18:08 »
Can anyone tell me the correct location of the vin marks and how many should be on a ser 3  :roll:
many thanks stevethedent.

Offline Little-Green-Machine

Attack Member
Re: Series 3 Vin No
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 15:30:02 »
Near the hi lo lever on a plaque, dont know how many numbers there are supposed to be.
1992 Defender 200 TDI
1995 Discovery 300 TDI
Both with mods, dents and scratches!

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 21:26:30 »
they should also be on the outside of the drivers side dumb iron ...

that's the bit at the front of the chassis where the bumper and spring attaches, if it's not there then it's possible the dumb iron has been replaced
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline stevethedent

Attack Member
  • Sobriety is an illusion caused by a lack of beer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 09:37:43 »
Thanks for your help fellas.
 :dance:

Offline Little-Green-Machine

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 14:28:36 »
No proble mate, i never knew it was on the dumb irons, mind my chassis resembles a patchwork quilt in places so probly has new dumb irons:lol:
1992 Defender 200 TDI
1995 Discovery 300 TDI
Both with mods, dents and scratches!

Offline Amma

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 10:00:43 »
As said the chassis number should be stamped into the front offside dumb-iron on the outer face and the plate.....

.....well  :roll:

On my 109" Series III it was mounted to the radiator panel on the sloped bit just above the steering relay and on my wifes 88" Series III it is mounted onto the bulkhead at the back of the engine bay.

On my 109" Series IIa that I have now it is mounted onto the panel just in front of the gear levers.

As far as amount of digits goes then that also changes according to which year it was produced. I'll only list the ones for after 1962 but if anyone wants any info about earlier ones then just ask.

1962-1979 Eight digits with suffix letters. The first and third numbers indicate the model and specification. The sequence starting 254 - 354 were Series II models and those starting 901 - 965 were Series III models.

1980-date These now have the modern style VIN numbers which is 16 digits long.

According to the book I have got this data from the location for the chassis numbers should be;

80" models - Nearside engine mount and brass plate on the nearside of the bulkhead (later moved to inside the cab)

86", 88", 107" and 109" models - On the bulkhead inside the vehicle and right hand front spring hanger

So it would appear that when I got my Series III 109" the plate was already in the wrong place!

:oops:
1969 One-Ton replica now with 200Tdi power.

Offline S188

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 20:05:17 »
Actully VIN numbers are 17 digits (and technicly "VIN" is only aplicable to the 17 digit numbers as its done to a globally recognised standard, the earlyer vehicles had chassis numbers in a style the manufacturer made up in house).

Early Land-Rover VIN numbers tend to be 14 digits long as seen on the VIN plate as they omitted the first 3 clarictors when stamping (the 14 digits are stamped with BL logos at each end).  The missing letters are the manufacturs ID which in Land-Rover's case is "SAL", which you'll need to add when quoting it as a VIN number.

Most VIN equipped series I've seen have the VIN plate under the bonnet eather on the bulkhead or the master cylinder bracket where as earlyer ones tend to be on the bulkhead inside the cab (eather infront of the gearleaver or beside the steering wheel on some metal dash models - easy to hide if someone adds extra instrements!).  Militry ones are sometimes on the seatbox.  Fact is there is no set location as vereous have been used over the years and the plates are easy to move or hide behind trim or sometimes not transfered on a bulkhead swap!

As far as the chassis stamping goes I think the front right outside face of the dumb iron on the thick bit where its welded to the chassis is pritty common for 88/109 but if its had new dumbirons, plating or is rusty it might be missing/no longer visable now.  86/107in have them on the rear left spring hanger.

I think when MOTing a vehicle the VIN number (but not the older chassis numbers) should be inspected so if you have a VIN era vehicle and can't find the plate you might want to do something about it.
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal