Events, Gatherings, Out & About > Members' Travels

Just got back from Norway (Orig: Anyone going to Norway??)

(1/3) > >>

Whatmot:
Ive just got back from the Pyrenees with OneLife Adventure, which by the way was absolutely awesome. I cant recommend Paul enough; he is a fantastic host amongst, many, other great qualities and not to mention a brilliant route which climaxed, naturally, on the last day.

Aaaanway, now that ive seen the 'south' of Europe, id rather like to see the 'north' so to speak, namely Scandinavia but more precisely Norway. I just wondered if anyone was, or was thinking of heading up there some point next year. Great company isnt required but im sure you all know its what 'makes the trip' :D

simondarby:
I am seriously considering a Norway trip next year to see how far up into the Arctic Circle I can get.  However, there is a small problem of getting there easily.

Both Smyril Line (Faroe Islands, Iceland, Norway, Denmark ferry) and DFDS have cancelled routes directly from the UK to Norway.  They did this is 2008 and there are no concrete signs of reinstating the routes anytime soon.

You can get a ferry from Harwich to Denmark and drive the rest, or ferry to France and drive.  Either way, it's a very long drive that way...

I am waiting to see what happens before committing now...

Whatmot:
Hi

--- Quote from: simondarby on July 07, 2009, 09:46:47 ---You can get a ferry from Harwich to Denmark and drive the rest
--- End quote ---

That was to be my planned route into the country

V8MoneyPit:

--- Quote from: simondarby on July 07, 2009, 09:46:47 ---You can get a ferry from Harwich to Denmark and drive the rest, or ferry to France and drive.  Either way, it's a very long drive that way...
--- End quote ---

When we went back in 1988 (in a 1965 MG Midget), they ran a route from Harwich to Hirtshals in Denmark, then on to Oslo. I take it this route is no longer?

Fabulous country though. I really want to go again, but it's unlikely to be next year. We stayed in a log cabin on the shores of Sognefjord. A good base for some spectacular scenery. You can't be in a rush anywhere on the west coast though. Virtually everywhere you go involves a ferry crossing!

MuddyDiscoveryJay:
Afternoon all, I too have been looking into the arctic circle and Atlas overland take a group there. http://www.atlasoverland.com/tour_arcticcircle.php    Try the link and see what luck you get. Im looking to go not next year but the year after and then take 2 months to head down to Italy and then home. I hope to go with Atlas to the pyrnees next year though. Hope I have helped. Good luck.

MDJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version