AuthorTopic: Wierd one today  (Read 1647 times)

Offline burgerman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
Wierd one today
« on: June 26, 2009, 19:52:33 »
 Pulled into a Bp fuel garage on the A303, No fuel put in as only stopped for the cash machine, But was parked next to a pump, Gets cash and returns to car, Wont start  :(  So ulnocked/locked ect cranked over for ages but still no start  :-k

so rolled it forward to the shop entrance to free up the pump and had a looky around, Nothing astray so called a recovery service, They turned up quite quickly Jumped in and bobs ya relative - it started fine  :shock:
 Tried restarting and stopping all ok,   The recovery guy stated that petrol pumps and especially parking near hospitals, causes immobiliser issues due to the fact they both run a kinda anti static radio wave thing, He has known this on many occasions and usually just by rolling the car out of the way of the pump/area cures the problem 

How wierd is that   :-.

P.s the car was a TD4 freelander 2001
TD5 with a few Tweaks ;o)
a bit more fuel friendly than the V8

Offline Little-Green-Machine

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Wierd one today
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 23:52:43 »
makes me thankfull i have less technology than a horse drawn cart :twisted:
Iv pulled into a petrol station and the cashier went white as a sheet waving madly at me, only when the cab started to fill with smoke i knew what he was on about :lol:
1992 Defender 200 TDI
1995 Discovery 300 TDI
Both with mods, dents and scratches!

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 07:30:36 »
Yea Had something like that happen to me but it was by a big transmitter mast in dorset went passed it in me truck and everything died. While i was stoped waiting for recovery Another 4 cars that stop before going around me also died. When recovery truck came he just towed me about 10 foot up the road and she fired up fine. He said it happens al the time by the mast.
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline discomummy

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 14:52:26 »
Hi

i have a Disco II, which i bought in australia and brought back here.

it was well known by disco owners in australia that you did not park near one chain of chemists as their security was on a frequency that would upset the discos, and there were certain masts that you could not park near as well!

regards

ela
Sonar - DII V8 now become a toy
Pugsley (peugeot 407) now sitting dead in a garage workshop, being replaced by Yeti the kia carens!
Bagheera - geoff's new(ish) car - a black jaguar!
love is....a husband who is prepared to put petrol in his wife's V8 without flinching - now has admitted to flinching occasionally

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 15:04:30 »
Heard that one about alarms near the DEW stations on Fylingdale Moors...
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 22:12:28 »
The central locking on my Japanese market Disco 1 won't work near the local fire station or leisure centre - think it's something to do with their comms frequencies :-(
Regards

Steve G
"Paddy" a 1996 3.9 V8 ES Auto Discovery
A re-imported Japanese model running on LPG

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 23:33:36 »
no wonder all these cars keep pulling over to the hardshoulder around me when I am chatting away at 400watts UHF  :grin:  j/k, I think I have only set off shop alarms with low power.

Funny thing is that you have no legal protection against such RF interference if the equipment effected is not radio, it's the car manufactures fault for not building in adequate shielding.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 10:51:55 »
The UHF ham radio repeater located at a hospital in Bristol had to be modified so that hospital staff could turn off the transmitter when someone complains they can not lock or unlock their vehicle in the car park. It boils down to the car manufactures making a poor choice in frequency to use compounded by using poor receiver design.

While the incidents seem to be far & few between (at the moment) it has meant that while GB3BS is transmitting there is the possibility for Visitors & Staff at the hospital to become unable to use their remote keys. It must be pointed out that Remote Key systems that operate in the 418MHz allocation are not affected.

Some basic tests have been carried out and its been found that Vauxhall & Rover cars (there are more), which use the 433.920MHz allocation, are susceptible to this "Jamming" or blocking of the vehicles receiver. Tests also showed that the vehicles receiver was very poor at rejecting adjacent channel signals. The vehicles could be easily blocked by any low powered transmitter that was operating within 200 feet who's frequency was within plus or minus 4 MHz of the centre frequency, 433.920MHz.

http://www.iridium.demon.co.uk/gb3bs/close_down.htm
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal