AuthorTopic: Head gasket  (Read 1357 times)

Offline DoubleTop

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Head gasket
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:13:03 »
OK, so mine is on the way to complete failure.  The engine oil is fine, but I have the 'baileys cream' in the coolant, so it's mixing somewhere.  So it's a HG, inlet manifold and as I'm there exhaust as well.

Any gems or extras to be done when changing the HG?  I've not spent too much time with family recently so I may just lob it at a mechanic, but IF I do find the time, what little gems am I to expect?

Other than that, what price at a garage, and anyone know of a Reading garage they would recommend?

DT.
Currently playing Space Pioneers
on transfer from bootcamp, if this link is used my account is credited with 25 premium points

Offline si-freelander

Attack Member
  • who said a hippo could not do what a tank dose.
Re: Head gasket
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 12:39:52 »
hi mines went in yesterday for HG been told would be 200 quid for gasket and head to be skimed ,dont think thats to bad.garage are going to check the cooling system at same time.

Offline DoubleTop

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 18:09:12 »
don't tell that to the previous owner of my car :)

service history has the head tested, new gasket and pressure testing done 13K miles ago for a snip a £1300.

For started as it's a relatively small task, I've ordered the bits to do the inlet manifold myself, then I'll get the coolant system pressure tested once I've done that and replaced a couple of the coolant hoses that look a little aged.

Cheers for the price guideline though, a lot less than I expected:dance:, but then I had the above receipts scaring me!

DT.
Currently playing Space Pioneers
on transfer from bootcamp, if this link is used my account is credited with 25 premium points

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 17:30:20 »
I would check it's had the upgraded dowels fitted and use a genuine upgraded head gasket. I think LR supply it as a kit. Someone more knowledgable than me will hopefully offer more accurate advice  :D
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline si-freelander

Attack Member
  • who said a hippo could not do what a tank dose.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 18:59:25 »
revised price 450 thats for new HG set skimmed new water pump all filters oils ect and the updated dowles foe the head.
dont think thats too bad.the garage im using has a few franchies around if anyone wants the name add ect let me know

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal