AuthorTopic: 4x4 for Export  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Bisonex

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
4x4 for Export
« on: June 12, 2009, 20:38:19 »
Hi

I'm moving to Sweden in August where I have a house in a remote spot and so I need to swap my Volvo saloon for a decent, brand new left-hand drive 4x4 before I go.  The only ones I can find in my area are Freelander 2s, about which I know zilch except that they are being offered for what appears to be a very reasonable price (I can pick one up for about £18,000)!  I am open-minded and i have to say that they look good have heard that they are thirstly, unreliable and costly to maintain.

I'm not sure (a) whether i should get one to export and (b) if so, what sort - 3.2 petrol or diesel, having regard to the fact that in Sweden, road tax for a diesel is about four times of the equivalent petrol vehicle, although the fuel is cheaper.

Any advice is welcome.

Bisonex

Offline Bisonex

Attack Member
Re: 4x4 for Export
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 15:51:57 »
Thanks for all the advice, everyone.  I don't know what I would have done without it!

Bison

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 16:13:46 »
I can only assume we don't have too many Freelander 2 owners on here!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline G30RGE

Attack Member
  • County Durham
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:25:12 »
A bit late - but, FL2's are great to drive and perform well off road both Petrol & Diesel
If you go for Petrol, bear in mind they are all auto
However - I thought that import taxes on cars into Sweden were a bit over the top (or at least they used to be)
Colleagues used to get cars via Germany, and if I remember rightly, the car had to be in Germany for a period before bringing it to Sweden (to save money)
not sure of all ins & outs but could find out for you

I worked based from Sweden for 15yrs
2004 Disco II G4 Le - Borrego Yellow
1999 Disco II - Borrego Yellow

Offline Bisonex

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 17:40:47 »
G3ORGE

Thanks for that info.  I've now bought a new Freelander 2 petrol and it is automatic and LHD.  It is certainly great to drive.  I intend to keep it as long as possible on British plates and then register it in Sweden when I absolutely have to.  I have paid my UK tax on it so, as I understand EU rules, they shouldn't be after me for Swedish tax at all, although I wouldn't be too surprised if they don't ask me to cough up.  Hopefully, it won't be too much and, if you can find anything out, that would be useful.

Offline G30RGE

Attack Member
  • County Durham
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 18:49:16 »
Enjoy it
The petrol FL2 is a dream to drive - a mate of mine has one.

Watch out in Sweden though as there is not many places you can take it offroad legally. They don't really have 'green lanes' which is a shame as most of the country is forest & lake.

Look out for the crayfish parties - it's the only shellfish I know that gives you a hangover  :lol:
2004 Disco II G4 Le - Borrego Yellow
1999 Disco II - Borrego Yellow

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal