AuthorTopic: D.I.Y Clutch Replacement  (Read 8124 times)

Offline Def90

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
D.I.Y Clutch Replacement
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:55:22 »
I'm considering a clutch change for my 300tdi Defender. I don't have any garage facilities, so my question is - How practical is it to do as a D.I.Y job?

I have read articles that say it's either engine or Gearbox out - Without access to an engine hoist (or hard standing to support the hoist) or lift, both options present difficulties - Is there a proven way for the home mechanic to do this job with no more than a set of ramps? or should I bite the bullet and book it into a local garage?

Interested if anyone knows of a picture thread that maps the process and whether anyone can give me a ball park price that I should expect to pay for a clutch change

Offline tack43

Attack Member
    • Worcs, Redditch
Re: D.I.Y Clutch Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:11:41 »
I did mine at home, however, I do have hardstanding. I hired an engine hoist form a local hire shop, took out the floor and lowered the gearbox/transfer box. It's easy enough to get out, but a bit more troublesome to get back in on your own. A spare couple of friends would make it an easy job - the box is VERY heavy! Other than that it's a straight forward job as per the workshop/haynes manuals. Just remember to replace all the clutch bits so you don't have to do it again anytime soon!

Hope this helps

Rich
Rich

1985 90 300TDI "Defender" SOLD.
1990 RRC 3.9 Vogue LPG
1991 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "The spare parts box!" Broken for spares
1993 RRC Off-roader. No engine. Yet!
1991 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "Tempory off-roader" Failed MOT - More spare parts
1992 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "New tempory off-roader" SOLD

Offline tonycougar

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:31:23 »
I have heard of some-one doing one on the hardshoulder of a motorway. Using a large rope tied around the roof to hold the gearbox up. Sounds a bit precarious but apparently he did it. I considered doing mine at home, but decided it would be quicker and cheaper in the whole sceme of things to get it done by some-one who knew what they were doing.
If theres a harder way to do it I`ll find it!!

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:09:19 »
It is easier to take the engine out to do a clutch change!
you dont necessarily need hard standing for the crane, just have enough room so tat you can roll the truck back once the engine has been lifted clear, it is also much easire that way.
Good luck
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 13:15:23 »
For my situation it was easier to take engine out and I was happy to do that. I was on a tarmac hardstanding with a borrowed engine crane. My hardstand is too narrow to use the crane from the side with the floor taken out. I had not done the clutch on a 300tdi before so not confidant to carry it out by pulling the box back out he way and doing key hole fitting.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Def90

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 13:45:24 »
Thanks Guys,

Where I park the truck, it's a loose dirt and gravel surface, with a slight incline, so a devil for wheeling a jack around, let alone an engine hoist with weight on it. I've not done anything like this before, so would like to have a go, but concerned that I get to a point where I can't finish the job and can't shift the truck.

Need to do some more research to build up the courage - Any links to a pictorial process for changing the clutch?

Cheers

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 08:36:11 »

Need to do some more research to build up the courage - Any links to a pictorial process for changing the clutch?

Cheers

Les Henson is bound to have done one, have a look on forums.lr4x4.com

Offline forestrynick

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 15:13:34 »
I did mine with a block and tackle hanging from the roof (helps that i have a sun roof). I had a helper for most of the time but got it done in a day and a half. We did it taking gearbox out which i reckon is easier. Its not actually that heavy but difficult to get hands to it properly so you definately need a lift one way or another.

You won't really need to move the hoist about with wait on it, just swing the box back and prop out of the way. Go for it, you'll be so glad you did, makes an expensive job really quite cheap!

Nick
Not stuck = Not trying!

Offline Mutz

Attack Member
  • Norwich, Norfolk.
    • Norwich
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 17:19:58 »
Mine was done by engine out, was told it was the easiest way.
1995 300tdi 90 rebuilt and on the road (but still a project)
1992 Pajero SWB 2.5 Auto (failed its MOT and for sale if you want it)

"I Havn't got a Bad Attitude; you just can't handle my personality"

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 17:30:41 »
Mine was done by engine out, was told it was the easiest way.

Ultimately, it depends on what equipment you have available and the space you have to do it in. Pulling the engine means more parts to remove. The coolant needs draining and the rad removed, I assume. Then power steering pipes, etc?

Whereas the gearbox only needs the props removed and maybe the levers to allow it to move far enough back.

Other will, no doubt, be able to offer more detailed advice.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Mutz

Attack Member
  • Norwich, Norfolk.
    • Norwich
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 20:27:58 »
 :roll: well yes there is that; and i was taking the engine out anyway :oops:

But was still told that was the easiest :dance:
1995 300tdi 90 rebuilt and on the road (but still a project)
1992 Pajero SWB 2.5 Auto (failed its MOT and for sale if you want it)

"I Havn't got a Bad Attitude; you just can't handle my personality"

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 20:50:12 »
The powersteering pump can be unmounted and moved out of way with the pipes attached and tank in place so no need to drain. Non professional mechanic but have had done 300tdi engine swaps before, at home, outside, it took me day and half worth of winter daylight to get engine out and back in after full clutch kit change and crank oil seal, flush intercooler and other little jobs. Mrs helped out too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnuquR9BzNY

To make refitting easier the axles are strapped so the suspension does not raise by x number of inches after engine is removed, this greatly aids aligning the engine back in onto the gearbox input shaft. Also a trolley jack is used to lift the gearbox upward at an angle. Bit of a wiggle and the engine slides back in without much problem.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 20:55:16 by Saffy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal