AuthorTopic: I've done a compression test on my Series 1 86" 2.0 and I think it's expensive  (Read 1991 times)

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
I've done a compression test.

Cylinder 1 - 98PSI - In the red.
Cylinder 2 - 90PSI - In the red.
Cylinder 3 - Below 10PSI - Off the minimum scale.
Cylinder 4 - Below 10PSI - Off the minimum scale.

I'm guessing very tired engine and head gasket gone between 3 & 4.

What do you think?
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline carbore

Attack Member
Did you do a wet test and dry test. IF its better with wet (few squirts of oil in the culnder) then it could be worn rings????
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Attack Member
Did you do a wet test and dry test. IF its better with wet (few squirts of oil in the culnder) then it could be worn rings????

No. Just warmed it up and tested.

What sort of oil - engine oil?

What would be a good reading for a good engine?
Rob Steele

Offline carbore

Attack Member
I have never done it, but read it /seen it on TV so please check with someone else, but my understanding is.

Put in 2-3 squirts (from al oil can) of your normal engine oil for each cyl. The oil acts as a temporary seal and helps eliminate worn rings/cyls

Thefore.

High Dry reading High Wet reading = All is ok
Low Dry Reading High wet reading - Worn rings/cyl
Low Dry reading Low wet reading = Problem on the TOP end eg Valves/valve timing (they could be worn/stuck open etc) or as you say Head/Gasket

I dont know what the Landy values should be, someone else may and may make sure my advice above is correct.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline brixworth-alan

Attack Member
  • The new acquisition
When I had this problem with my Mini Metro circa 1989 it was the exhaust valves that had given up the ghost (at 75mph overtaking a lorry on the A1 as it happens  :lipsrsealed:)

Head off, New valves, and some grinding paste later- it was fixed. Manually intensive but strangely rewarding.

Hardest thing was buying sets of four valves for an a+ series engine :huh: most places had three or less, and prices for pattern parts ranged from £5- £27 each! Rover had only made about 3 million of those engines but made no spares.....

Offline S188

Attack Member
Think its about 125psi for a 2.0 litre (Turned on the starter motor with a good batt, choke off and accelerator depressed full), which isn't alot.  Remember compression ratio is only 6.7...6.9:1 depending if you have a copper or steel head gasget respectively.  My dads 2.0 is around 80psi (don't know if the guage is accurate though) and still runs resionably well though I'm sure its not quite doing its rated 52bhp (keeps up with my very good running 2.25D pritty well though!).  If its even between pots thats the main thing, rebuild it if its just too underpowered and drinking oil.

If that were mine 'd be tempted to just chuck a new head gasket on it and have another go, see how it goes.  If it drives resionable then you can stick the grand+ needed for rebuilding it proper in a high interest acount for a bit longer!  These old engines rarely just let go, they just loose more and more power till you find yourself droping too many gears on hills (I'm sure there are lots of landys out there are down on power but run nicely and their owners just think they are all that slow, I did untill I got overtaken going up a hill when unladen by a fully loaded 80in (I know you can't fit much in an 80in but this one had alot in it!  Aparently the new camshaft made the big difference).  If you do need bits its all avalable from Cox and Turner - he's also good to ring up for advice/chat.
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Attack Member
If that were mine 'd be tempted to just chuck a new head gasket on it and have another go, see how it goes.  If it drives resionable then you can stick the grand+ needed for rebuilding it proper in a high interest acount for a bit longer!  These old engines rarely just let go, they just loose more and more power till you find yourself droping too many gears on hills

I've recently got a headgasket but it will be August before I can fit it - fingers crossed.
Rob Steele

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal