AuthorTopic: de cat front pipe for 1.8 petrol  (Read 2361 times)

Offline kevinf

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
de cat front pipe for 1.8 petrol
« on: April 24, 2009, 11:59:46 »
hi there

posting this one for a friend whos looking for a de-cat exhaust front pipe for a freelander 1.8 k series engine its a 2001
any ideas if any body does one?

many thanks kevin
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

Offline origional badboy

Attack Member
  • dont just take it off road, BREAK it offroad!
Re: de cat front pipe for 1.8 petrol
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 12:26:00 »
a de cat as in one with no cat?  i have a front section manifold to lamber sensor inc sensor for sale from a1.8
Wanted ..... tart with a heart

Offline carbore

Attack Member
Re: de cat front pipe for 1.8 petrol
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 10:41:43 »
Hello, I think I can help, possibly even sell you one.

A very quick look round seems to show that the Freelander K series CAT is the same as other Rover K series installs notably the Elise and MGF which have DeCat pipes available. A diagram of a Freelander pipe is here

http://www.brookwell.co.uk/products/freelander-parts/freelander-exhaust  and this looks just like the one I had on my Elise I just looked at.

I have an Elise CAT sat on my bench so can email over a scan of the flange and main dimensions if you want to to check or if you cant find any other sites to back up the link above.

No the Elise CAT I have is infact a hollowed out one that "blew" at a sprint event and had its guts knocked out with a screwdriver just after practice (I finished 200ths of the blinking class record for Castle Combe after sepnding most of the day under the car). You can have that for £10 plus postage as it is basically now a decat pipe with the added advantage of looking like a cat under quick inspection.

If you want a new decat pipe then look at http://www.eliseparts.com/categories.php?category=39  make sure you get a S1 pipe as the S2 is different.

I assume he knows that the car is highly likely to fail on emissions whit the cat removed so he may end up having to keep his cat and put it on for MOT, plus I think running no cat is illegal on vehicles made after a certain date (not sure). Why do it I was thinking its not worth it for power unless its a rally car, however I believe there are concerns about CATs cracking when hot if used for wading and, general knocks if used off road in earnest, and possibly if overlanding removing a cat may be 1 less thing to go wrong.

If he takes the old cat offf and its working make sure he stores it inside somewhere dry (like a loft) not a garage. I think mine being stored in a dampsih barn while I used a decat pipe for racing  may have been why the original one failed (soggy guts).

PM me as im off about and about an may not check the forum.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal