AuthorTopic: Emergency - Freelander has died!  (Read 1621 times)

Offline muddyhippo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • There's something in the mud down here!
  • Referrals: 0
Emergency - Freelander has died!
« on: March 27, 2009, 20:24:43 »
Help anyone,
My freelander has decided to stop without warning!  I have driven it faultlessly for over nine months, not a peep, then yesterday we drove thirty odd miles, it juddered very slightly, and cut out.  Now it wont' start.  There are no loose connections that I can see, the lights, alarm etc all still work, it has petrol, nothing has fallen off underneath, or is loose, and there are no warning lights on, or busted fuses.
The only weird thing is the alarm.  It has been beeping on locking for a few months as the ubiquitous rear window mechanism has failed (cable snapped inside winder), but this is what it should do.  Since the car has stopped it no longer beeps, but locks the car as normal.  I have turned her over a few times, but no more as apparently it can damage the cat
Please please - anone got any ideas? 

Offline Mash

Attack Member
    • Lincoln
Re: Emergency - Freelander has died!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 21:08:43 »
Ayup....
Does the engine turn over as normal

You say you've got petrol ...to where ? or just in the tank ? Have you got a spark ?
Are the injectors pulsing when you crank it over with a noid light on ?

Check all the fuses first with a multimeter  NOT by just looking at them to make sure there is continuity to them..Also in the fusebox in the engine bay is fuse F22 ok ?
How about Relay 1 which is the fuel pump relay

Let us know how you get on with that little lot

Jon
Hit it till it breaks then hit it some more !

"Jingle" 200Tdi 110 - Which way to the mud ??

Offline Rockin Robin

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 00:34:20 »
You say it "juddered slightly"  ....  did it feel like you were running out of fuel?  ...  could be the fuel pump in the petrol tank  ...

Offline muddyhippo

Attack Member
  • There's something in the mud down here!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 21:48:34 »
Problem sorted!
The culprit was the rotor arm arcing  - a new one on, courtesy of an RAC man, and we roll again!
Just goes to show, a decent tool kit, knowledge of your car, and good info from the right people are all you need to get you out of bother - I would have sorted this problem out myself ten years ago when I had two of the above - now I'll rely on mud-club members!  Oh, and invest in a Haynes manual!
Thanks for your advice gents, much appreciared.
All the best, karl

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal