AuthorTopic: freelander tyre replacement Is it posibe to fit just two tyres to the freelander  (Read 3359 times)

Offline green giant

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
 :huh: Help please is it posible to fit just two tyres to the TD4 02 reg Freelander?
    the front tyres on mine are getting a bit low on the outer shoulders but the rears are still ok
   I tried swaping the wheels front to rear to even out wear but a pronounced drumming was created
   at about 60 mph which stopped on changing them back !! I had a problem when the tyres were changed
    about 20,ooo miles ago when only the front tyres were changed it sounded as if a wheel bearing had gone
   so I changed the rears as well but at over £400 pounds a set  and still some wear left I'm reluctant to change all 4 if I can help it .

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
No problem at all, I do it every time, however NEW TYRES MUST BE FITTED TO THE REAR ONLY.

Failure to do so can result in damage to the VCU.
MSA Radio: Worcester1

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
No problem at all, I do it every time, however NEW TYRES MUST BE FITTED TO THE REAR ONLY.

Failure to do so can result in damage to the VCU.

Hi Graham

I had heard this, but I've never understood why! What actually happens to damage the VCU?
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
If I understand it rightly the VCU works by detecting a difference in speed between the front and rear propshafts. Different sizes of tyre (due to different amounts of tread remaining) will cause it to think that you're slipping and lock up, with similar effects to leaving diff lock in on other LR products.

I don't know which end the power is usually biassed to, I would guess the rear as having slightly larger tyres there would make the propshaft turn more slowly?
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
Matt, nearly right.
A FL is mostly front wheel drive, with a small %age going to the back at all times, courtesy of the "slip" in the VCU. When the front whhels loose traction the VCU sense this and locks up, sending more of the drive to the rear.

If you stick the largest tyre on the front then the differential ratio between the 2 axles is such that it can overlaod the VCU, potentially "cooking" it and then damaging the IRD and/or rear diff.

Hope that helps.
MSA Radio: Worcester1

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal