AuthorTopic: Clutch Noise  (Read 4345 times)

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
  • Referrals: 0
Clutch Noise
« on: December 07, 2003, 11:48:03 »
I've recently developed a noise when operating the clutch on my 300Tdi,  :shock:  It only happens when the pedal is in use and is quiet whilst travelling, I've heard that clutches on these are prone to falling apart,  :?  but I think it might just be the release bearing that's noisy, if so - is there any way of getting at the bearing and lubricating it or is it best to replace it, and while it's all apart, replace the rest of the clutch parts  :?:

Is it reasonably easy to D.I.Y or would it be better to palm it off on someone else and PAY (nasty word that), any volunteers  :wink:
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Clutch Noise
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 16:11:47 »
Just from the description I would say that it's the release bearing.. although difficult without hearing it in person.

Do you know how long the clutch has been in the vehicle ?

My view tends to be that when you have the box separated, inless the clutch is very new, then it's best to replace the clutch.

For this reason, I will often let a noisy release bearing stay as it is for a while (because I'm a bit of cheap-skate ;-) )
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
Clutch Noise
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 17:16:53 »
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your comments, I've got no idea if the clutch has been changed at all, certainly had nothing done to it in the last 18 months since it's belonged to me.

While we were away over the weekend it decided to go peculiar whilst waiting at traffic lights, seemed to have limited pedal travel, it was ok again after dipping the pedal a couple of times.
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal