AuthorTopic: Pressure in plenum chamber!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1438 times)

Offline 300TDi Disco

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Pressure in plenum chamber!!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 09, 2009, 17:43:15 »
Well to start off i had lost the spark from the coil to the dissy but i have now sorted that out. (wiring problems)
I have replaced the dissy but didn't mark it up (  :( ) so what i did, was sent it up on TDC on compression stroke and then placed the dissy in, connected the leads up in the correct firing order and then turned the key. Firstly is started then cut out ????? Then checked the fuel overun relay was connected properly to the dissy.
I then turned the key again, and it was trying to start until the pressure in the plenum chamber blow the intake pipe off. Any idea's guys??????? I have been working on this thing for days now and there is one thing on my mine... SCRAP IT.
Let's Ave It.
One Life, Get One

Peugeot 206 XS
Fiat Ducato (work van)
Disco 300TDI

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Pressure in plenum chamber!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 18:31:14 »
It's backfiring, that means you have the timing close but not close enough.  When you push the dizzy home it will spin slightly because it is driven by skew gears, so you need to set it up once it's fully installed.

It might be worth running all the leads to old plugs and sit them on the engine then use a timing light whilst you crank the engine, just to check.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline 300TDi Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 18:34:36 »
It's backfiring, that means you have the timing close but not close enough.  When you push the dizzy home it will spin slightly because it is driven by skew gears, so you need to set it up once it's fully installed.

It might be worth running all the leads to old plugs and sit them on the engine then use a timing light whilst you crank the engine, just to check.

Thats interesting, should i set it bang on TDC??? or slightly out? and am i right on doing it on compression stroke??
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 18:36:55 by V8defender90 »
Let's Ave It.
One Life, Get One

Peugeot 206 XS
Fiat Ducato (work van)
Disco 300TDI

Offline meathumper

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 16:50:07 »
Hello, I think the timing should be set at about 6-8 deg advanced, not sure though as a mate marked mine with white pen so i just use that mark. And i think you have to take the vacuum pipe of the top of the plenum chamber that goes to the vacuum advance, and block the hole with your finger.   

Offline 300TDi Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 11:54:19 »
Well guys cheers for your comments. The problem is now sorted out, I just started again from scratch and set the timing to 6 degress before TDC, clamped the dissy down, done the firing order, had to change the battery as it was dying, due to me turning it over loads, checked the connections to the coil to find the fuel overrun relay was wired backwards  :( , turned it over, job done. Now got to do loads of tidying up to do in the engine bay. Cheers again V8DEFENDER90.
Let's Ave It.
One Life, Get One

Peugeot 206 XS
Fiat Ducato (work van)
Disco 300TDI

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal