AuthorTopic: Oh Dear (well that's the polite version)  (Read 6430 times)

Offline matthew

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Oh Dear (well that's the polite version)
« on: December 06, 2003, 03:13:03 »
Whilst travelling down to my parents this evening, I had a slight problem.

I came off the M6 at Junc 4 to the top of the slip road, went to set off again and no drive :cry: so banged in 4wd and set off got to other side of island pulled over to check it out and saw what you can see in the pictures  :cry: Then had to spend 3 1/2 hrs waiting for revovery  :evil:  

Luckily it was close enough to parents for them to come out and pick up littl'un else she'd have been really cold.

Worth noting that if I'd had FWHs fitted there WOULD have been an accident as I had no drive to the rear and without drive to the front would have rolled back on to the car behind. Just adds to my opinion that they are a waste of time, space, and money.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

ChrisW

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 11:18:29 »
Can't help with that I'm afraid.... but this does remind me of something that was set up on another club - the assistance register.

Especially as I'm only 2mins away from where you broke down Matthew!
If only for a cuppa and some company while you waited for the recovery truck.

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 11:26:14 »
Perhaps this is a good time to start a help register for Mud-Club members.

I'm happy to collate the information if everyone agrees on the idea.

Let me know.
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Offline matthew

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 22:21:27 »
Well it's all back together now :) , just can't get a decent brake pedal :( I can at least move it about now though.
Cheers

Matthew
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline George the Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 13:00:55 »
FWIW, I live in Sandbach, Cheshire, just by J17 of the M6 (as do a few other members). If you get stuck give me a call if for nothing other than tea and sympathy.

Chris
Now: 51 plate Freelander Commercial.
Then: G Reg 200tdi Disco, 182,500 miles, 35ish mpg, Stickers, Home made snorkle, Deflex Bushes, Blah, blah, blah...

Offline Pete Twissell

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 13:44:20 »
What was the failure mode? Looks like the bearing carrier (stub axle) judging by the fact that I can't see it where it should be in the pics.

Re. Freewheeling hubs, I suspect there may be as many occasions when frewheeling hubs could prevent an accident. I wouldn't condemn them on the basis of a single incident, certainly not when that incident involves the failure of a funamental component.
Twizz

jaa

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 17:58:22 »
if anyone needs any help in or around the stoke-on-trent area ( I live not far from jn 15 m6 and right by the A50 ) I have a service van full of tools jacks and oils

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 19:55:44 »
Same here I live off J26 M1, with tools & access to some recovery gear, & later a trailer, More than this I'm usually around locally, so could be helpful. If you have a vehicle full of people & find yourself stranded on the hard shoulder in the rain, waiting for recovery. I can move the people to cover in the vehicle or to a nearby services until you are recoverd, or tow you to the services if possible

Kev
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline matthew

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 20:46:02 »
Quote from: "Pete Twissell"
What was the failure mode? Looks like the bearing carrier (stub axle) judging by the fact that I can't see it where it should be in the pics.

What I think happened is that the outer bearing failed and broke up allowing the hub to ride over it. It's got a fairly early salisbury axle with a smaller outer bearing on it.

Re. Freewheeling hubs, I suspect there may be as many occasions when frewheeling hubs could prevent an accident. I wouldn't condemn them on the basis of a single incident, certainly not when that incident involves the failure of a funamental component.

I'm not sure where they could prevent an accident? I generally don't particularly like them, and have never found that they make any difference to fuel consumption. My 88" has a pair and I've experimented with them in and out and can't see any advantage in them.
Cheers

Matthew

malich

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2004, 07:06:10 »
Rear diff went bang with FWH turn off I was on a slope I had to hold the landi via foot brakes until traffic had past me then reverse into the kerb turn FWH on and limp home.   [/img]

series 3

that happend to me 2
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 18:32:22 »
hi  :)

that happened to my seris 3 , the front o/s wheel came away just as i was about to exit a bypass , landy vered across both lanes and in to the graval  just skimming the armco (not touching)

excatally as you say outer (small) bearing failed and inner (large) just passes over the top .

think i warped a brake drum when mine came away as my brakes where not the same till i replaced drums

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal