AuthorTopic: Help With Auto Gearbox  (Read 674 times)

Offline ben-dent

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Help With Auto Gearbox
« on: January 18, 2009, 21:49:21 »
My rangie 3.5 V8 has decided to lose all its oil and the gears have gone, i could drive it at a push but it was at 5000 RPM and smoking like hell as the oil sprayed out of the bell housing on to the exhausts, it decided to lock in 1st (i think) if i put it in neuteral it would drive still, had to take props of and be towed home from towcester

i think it is the drive pump that has gone if it is that i can fix it,

if it isnt that is the box repairable or is it scrap, and how would i go about getting it fixed,

i have only replaced Drive Pumps, Electronic Solenoids/Valves and Torque Converters on autos so dont know where else to look i know it hasnt got any electronic solenoids or valves
Ben Haynes

1984(B) Rangie Vouge V8) (DENT)
1986(D) Rangie Vouge CCV Trialer

Offline JIMBOBLY

Attack Member
Re: Help With Auto Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 22:47:42 »
sounds to me ben,that the seal has been broken in some way between the torque converter and the gearbox,or the the torque converter itself has bust where it slides into the box :-k

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Help With Auto Gearbox
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 17:25:31 »
Given that £50 often buys a second hand box you know worked, I'd be tempted to swap it.  Otherwise perhaps as suggested it's the seals, the pressure pump sits on the outsdie fo the Torque Converter's outer drive, the one you see if you like, the one that spins with the engine.  That said the outer oil seal is not the pump pressure seal.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal