AuthorTopic: Upgrades for the 'Hippo'  (Read 11458 times)

Offline muddyhippo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • There's something in the mud down here!
  • Referrals: 0
Upgrades for the 'Hippo'
« on: January 12, 2009, 21:57:59 »
Hi everyone,
This is our first 4x4, and we are loving every minute of it.  We are out most weekends discovering  new areas where we live, and finding some that are quite challenging, requiring a more substantial vehicle to tackle the landscape.  However, I have attempted to scource info on parts to upgrade my Freelander from various parts suppliers, and I am slowly getting the impression that these (A) do not exist, and (B) Freelanders are not really seen as 'serious' off-road vehicles.
Could anyone help with the folowing information?
Is there a high-lift kit, or complete suspension kit on the market?
Has anyone modified the exhaust system for higher clearance, and how?
Raised air intakes - I'm probably being very naive here, but I cannot find one for a 1.8 petrol Freelander.  Is there a reason for this?
Expedition-type roof racks - does anyone do them?

All info would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks, Karl

Offline mill2020

Attack Member
  • Team 60 - Mac 4x4 2011,2012 & 2013
Re: Upgrades for the 'Hippo'
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 22:40:57 »
Most freebie owners will admit they are not a "Serious" offroader like a Defender, but you will be shocked just how capable they really are, in certain terrain they will out perform there big brother, and will return MPG figures that Disco & Defender owners can only dream of :lol: :lol: :lol:
If your after add on's may i suggest you join the M.A.D (Muck & Dirt) FREELANDERS forum, the M.A.D boys drive some of the most "Tricked  up" freebies out there and regularly offroad them. They will be more than happy to point you in the right direction of lift kits etc..................... 

www.mad-freelanders.org.uk
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 22:44:52 by mill2020 »

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 17:05:09 »
We have a 2" lift fitted from Celtic 4x4. Not sure if he's still doing them, but no doubt someone will tell us!

The thing that made most difference off road to us was fitting BFG AT tyres (215/75).
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline mill2020

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 17:19:48 »
As far as i'm aware Celtic4x4 has stopped trading now, but you can get a 2"inch kit from Bearmach or Tornado Motorsport.

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 19:33:43 »
There is also the Freelander Owners Club as well, who are more than willing to get out and get muddy, plus the forum has a very useful Technical Section.

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Freelander_Club/index.php?
MSA Radio: Worcester1

Offline Rockin Robin

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:04:39 »
One of the best prepared and highly modded FL's I've seen belongs to MAD and FLC member Freelaner:

He lives down Exeter way, and I'm sure would be happy to show you what can be done.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:23:30 »
Hello.

For expedition racks try Brownchurch. I have one of these aka "the beast rack" http://www.brownchurch.co.uk/91racksystem.html
Very good quality and has carried loads of (other peoples) junk around for them and various building supplies like plasterboard, scafold towers etc.

I dont think an exhaust mod is possible unless it comes up into the boot (bad idea) but you can get a Mantec exhaust protector that incorporates recovery points that seems like a very good idea. Also they do a fuel tank protector as well I think.

IF your freelander has not had the "recall" for the changing position of the thermostat then get that done, basically a different location for the thermostat due to a design flaw in the K series cooling system.. Its the reason that they blow (ready any 1.8k series HGF thread by anyone who knows!)

Dont know about lifts but they are about, however tyres is the first off road mod Id do

CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline muddyhippo

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 21:48:26 »
Hi guys,
Many thanks for all your tips, pointers and recommendations - All very much appreciated, hope I can do the same one day.  Project 'HIPPO' will be started shortly from this info, all I need to do now is convert the family fortunes (minimal) into Land Rover spending vouchers!

Just downloaded the Bearmach parts list for Freelanders, they do a lift kit so thats that bit sorted.

A local Metal workshop is willing to make up a sump guard and silencer guard to my specs, and at a fraction of those lovely but expensive Mantec jobbies, job no.2 taken care of.

Brownchurch still do an expedition rack (fits direct to the roof channels - no need to buy rails then!)

Finally, no joy with the raised air intake kit.  Never one to accept " because they just don't " as an answer, I've decided to fabricate my own.  I'm going to buy a snorkel kit that runs down the passenger side A-post, cut into the wing where the intake would enter on the model intended, then with careful measuring, jiggling, many cups of tea and swearing, connect into the air filter housing using some flexipipe I have scourced.  Then get it set back up engine-wise, if need be.

Once again, thanks for all your responses.
Happy mud-slinging,
Karl

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 13:30:30 »
Karl
why bother with the snorkel? It is only really neccesary in dust with a Freelander as by the time the water is that deep the motor will be floating.

Offline Disco 90 george

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 14:13:38 »
I'd only put a snorkel on if you are going to go over the air inlet ( in a derv ) my 90 goes over the bonnet before it starts to float. :dance: Wouldn't go anywhere near water in a petrol ! [-X
If it ain't broken................................break it !

Offline muddyhippo

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 20:28:10 »
Hi LlaniGraham & 666George,
Cheers for the advice regarding a snorkel, I now understand why they are there, and why they are primarily for specific models and conditions. 
Well, at least that will save me some Land Rover spending vouchers (£20 notes) - I think i will concentrate on the mods mentioned before, and possibly look into some new steel wheels & AT tyres.
I'm currently running standard Freelander steels with Toyo Open Country 195 X 15 AT's.
Could anyone point me in the right direction with wheels sizes/tyre sizes?  I would prefer to go with those black modular steels I see advertised everywhere, but what size do I need, and can I go up in tyre size?
Once again, cheers for the advice - free, genuine and unbiased, what more could you want? THANKS!!!
All the best,
Karl

Offline mill2020

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 20:42:16 »
You'll struggle to get a set of modulars for a freelander, your better off sticking with the LR steels you currently have.

If you fit a set of 215/80/15's these will fill your arches nicely, as general rule 28.5" is the max diameter you can go without major mods. If your fitting a Bearmach lift kit, then you could probably strech to 29+, but this may put a strain on the drivetrain.

I'm sure G3ORGE will correct me if i'm wrong, but i think thats correct stats.

Phil

Offline G30RGE

Attack Member
  • County Durham
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 02:03:59 »
 :lol:

You will not get modulars with a Freelander PCD - unfortunately it is different to every other Landrover  :sad:

You are better off with your 15" steels or try and get hold of a cheap set of 16" alloys and fit a larger dia tyre.

Phil is spot on with his sizes - and to help out here are a few others with respective diameters

I have 205.80.16 AT on 16" alloys and it is about the limit without a lift kit.
2004 Disco II G4 Le - Borrego Yellow
1999 Disco II - Borrego Yellow

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 13:15:51 »
If you are looking for wheels, the Jeep Wrangler has the same PCD.

wizard

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 19:13:46 »
NO IT DOESN'T, it is a couple of mill bigger and can easily damage the FL wheel studs.

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 22:21:53 »
I beg to differ. They are both 5 stud and a pcd of 114.3mm

wizard

Offline G30RGE

Attack Member
  • County Durham
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 23:25:18 »
There are quite a few manufacturers wheels which are close to, if not exact, PCD as Freelander (114.3 x 5) - however - 'try before you buy' as not all fit because of offset and brake configuration (ie drums/calipers etc...) IIRC standard offset is 35mm.
If you use spacers then this reduces the offset problem

For PCD comparisons try here
2004 Disco II G4 Le - Borrego Yellow
1999 Disco II - Borrego Yellow

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 09:40:54 »
I also have a hatchbag boot liner

http://www.hatchbag.co.uk/

has saved the carpet from much bin juice! yuck

Not ideal for heavy loads as it can ruck up so also consider the LR Rigid ones available in set ip and set down configurations.

Also I haev a dog guard but no dog. I use it as a loading bulkhead so boot contetns dont hit heads when im carrying various junk.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline jiffyman

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 19:22:36 »
One of the best prepared and highly modded FL's I've seen belongs to MAD and FLC member Freelaner:

He got his Freelander done at OEC4x4 in Kingsteignton    http://www.oec4x4.com

A great broup of people and welome everything, unlike alot of '4x4' centres who say they are 4x4 centres but only deal with the LR's!!

Give them a try!!
4X4 pix at http://ladaniva.fotopic.net

http://jiffyregister.fotopic.net

1997 1.7i Niva Hussar

(HOODOO lift kit)
(205/16 Colway C-Max Sport Tyres)
(Pro Comp ES9000s)
(Snorkel made from bits 'acquired' from work and B&Q)

YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GET OLD, YOU GET OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Doobreydog

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 16:52:12 »
I beg to differ. They are both 5 stud and a pcd of 114.3mm

wizard

Beg to differ when you know what what your talking about...
Although there are many with 0.3mm (gnats knacker different) and if fitted carefully will work perfectly well there are none available that will fit FL exactly..

I run on a set of OZ racing wheels with the slight difference, but as george has said there are many other things that will affect the fit of a wheel.

Spend a few hours reading and understanding this http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html before you start messing with things you dont understand
FREELANDER V6 LPG...GO GAS

http://www.mad-freelanders.org.uk/

Offline origional badboy

Attack Member
  • dont just take it off road, BREAK it offroad!
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 09:23:29 »
calm down guys lol play nicely
Wanted ..... tart with a heart

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal