AuthorTopic: Auxilliary Power Socket  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Gordo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
  • Referrals: 0
Auxilliary Power Socket
« on: January 03, 2009, 23:11:38 »
I'm looking to fit a power socket (AKA cigarette lighter socket) in the boot of my Freelander. I think the part is STC7927.

Has anyone installed one of these? Anything to look out for?

I'm wondering if there's a more convenient place to wire it in, and if it's possible to have a permanent live supply instead of a switched one - mainly for charging stuff up while the car's parked.

Anyone got any thoughts?
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Land Rover Freelander SE Td4 | Defender 110 XS Double-Cab

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Re: Auxilliary Power Socket
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 23:25:32 »
I did something similar in my Disco using the 12s wiring (as I don't have a caravan and the wiring was therefore surplus). The RAVE CD did include full fitting instructions for the factory aux power socket, but they were of little use to me as I wanted to be able to control the socket from a dash mounted switch. I use it to power an amber beacon for 4x4 Response callouts and events (hence needing the control) but it's all rated at about 25a so I can use it to power most 12v things!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Gordo

Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 18:03:12 »
I wanted to be able to control the socket from a dash mounted switch. I use it to power an amber beacon for 4x4 Response callouts and events (hence needing the control) but it's all rated at about 25a so I can use it to power most 12v things!

That sounds pretty much what I'm wanting to achieve too - thank you.

Watch for an enquiry on fixing the electrics on a Freelander, or how to put out an electrical fire in a Freelander, coming soon...
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 22:08:22 »
As I understand it the official wiring kit (on mine at least) involved adding a wire to the boot and patching a relay into some existing wiring, giving a socket that is live when the engine is running (I think - didn't look too closely).

My method would only need one wire to be fed back to the boot, as the relay and control wiring is all in the compartment under the steering wheel. I'm sure there's a reason why LR planned it their way but I have no idea why!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Gordo

Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 14:08:45 »
I've had another idea (don't laugh, it happens occasionally!  8-[): How easy would it be to get a live feed in to the centre console between the front seats?

I'm thinking of putting a switched accessory socket in the back of the armrest (i.e. facing the rear seats) and obviously need a live feed. As mine's a 5-door, the window switches are missing - but I'm sure there must be a switch that will fit the holes instead of a blank...

Any thoughts?

Offline G30RGE

Attack Member
  • County Durham
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 18:01:10 »
You should have a live feed there already.
You can also get a panel with cut-out for a socket which fits in the rear of the centre console.
2004 Disco II G4 Le - Borrego Yellow
1999 Disco II - Borrego Yellow

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal