AuthorTopic: Looking at discos  (Read 954 times)

Offline 3laner

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Looking at discos
« on: January 02, 2009, 22:38:39 »
Going to look at a couple of td5 discos in the morning and wondered if anyone has got any tips on what to look for? always done defenders so have no clue about discos! am I right in thinking the ECU is under the bonnet?
they are 2000 and 2003 models. any common faults I should look for?

Cheers
Alex
1994 300 tdi Defender-SOLD
2002 TD5 Defender 90 Monte Carlo Blue: IRB stage 2 tuned and intercooled-SOLD
2005 Golf GTi 200- Landyless :(

ON THE LOOK OUT FOR MY NEXT 4x4
www.irbdevelopments.com

Offline freelanderpx54

Attack Member
Re: Looking at discos
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 22:47:14 »
Take a tape measure to make sure that it sits level at the back (if it is an air suspension model)

Is the alternator charging (take a multimeter)

Is the fuel pressure regulator leaking - located above the starter motor (15 hours :^o to take off and 20 minutes to put back on whilst saying gosh this is fiddly)

Is the fuel pump noisy - expensive to replace if it is

Do ALL of the electrical goodies work - standard electric mirrors can be used as a replacement for powerfold ones.

And then there are the usual bits to check like you would with any car

Offline Arthur Daily

Attack Member
Re: Looking at discos
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:41:32 »
I have owned a couple of TD5 Disco's and just bought another one and have never had any issues with them and they have all been very very high mileage ones, the current one having over 200000 miles on clock(new engine though). look at the service history as you can get a good idea of its life and also if its got reciepts for work done.Dont be put off by high mileage, if its been well looked after and had a lot of the troublesome bits sorted it could save you money in the long run!

Check the underside of the vehicle for any excessive corrosion, as it seems that they skimped on the under body protection a bit at the factory!
Discovery TD5 commercial
Defender 110 300 TDI

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal