AuthorTopic: FootManJames Cheap quotes.  (Read 4287 times)

Offline 300TDi Disco

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
FootManJames Cheap quotes.
« on: December 12, 2008, 00:30:15 »
Just done an insurance quote on a defender 90 3.5 v8 at 25 years of age in a garage 1 bonus. £99.50 i was very impressed.
Let's Ave It.
One Life, Get One

Peugeot 206 XS
Fiat Ducato (work van)
Disco 300TDI

Offline JumboBeef

Attack Member
Re: FootManJames Cheap quotes.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 07:28:48 »
Is that fully comp?  That's the same as we pay on our 110 V8, fully comp, and I'm ancient! (43)
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE V8 auto on LPG, time warp!

Offline 300TDi Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 14:53:26 »
Is that fully comp?  That's the same as we pay on our 110 V8, fully comp, and I'm ancient! (43)

That was fully comp as they will only do fully comp on classic insurance. It was such a shock to me.
Let's Ave It.
One Life, Get One

Peugeot 206 XS
Fiat Ducato (work van)
Disco 300TDI

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 15:08:02 »
That does seem rather cheap? I know we shouldn't complain but, DAMN!!
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 16:25:43 »
Prompted by this thread I just got a quote for an XK8 from Footman James.  They quoted me more than double what Adrian Flux quoted me!
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline JumboBeef

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 16:32:09 »
classic insurance.

Ah, classic insurance.  How old is the 90?  Are there any restrictions on the insurance, such as mileage?

Offline 300TDi Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 17:04:00 »
classic insurance.

Ah, classic insurance.  How old is the 90?  Are there any restrictions on the insurance, such as mileage?

its a 1985 3.5 v8 auto, i think the milage was at 7000.
Let's Ave It.
One Life, Get One

Peugeot 206 XS
Fiat Ducato (work van)
Disco 300TDI

Offline JumboBeef

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 18:03:10 »
classic insurance.

Auto?

Offline 300TDi Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 18:04:35 »
classic insurance.

Auto?

range rover engine..
Let's Ave It.
One Life, Get One

Peugeot 206 XS
Fiat Ducato (work van)
Disco 300TDI

Offline AJWB

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 19:07:43 »
How much?  :shocked:

I'm paying about £900  :x

Offline 300TDi Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 20:40:54 »
How much?  :shocked:

I'm paying about £900  :x

@ 17 i don't think your getting a bad price.
Let's Ave It.
One Life, Get One

Peugeot 206 XS
Fiat Ducato (work van)
Disco 300TDI

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 21:09:45 »
R u serious?
im 20. and paying £1100/year  :shock:
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline LiftedDisco

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 17:38:47 »
WARNING, WARNING, WARNING.....

I have just rung Footman James for a quote on the Disco...

Virtually the first question was, "Is the vehicle modified?"

2" lift and HD bumpers...

"Is it used off road?"

Greenlaning and the occasional playday... Suddenly this needed to be referred to a supervisor, before coming back with the comment, "If it's used off road, we can't quote."

Absolutely adamant - road cover only and they would not even provide a price if there was any chance of the vehicle being taken off road.  I explained that I did not require cover whilst at play sites and that lanes are part of the highway network... no, no, no - if it's off road, then no quote.

I queried why they advertised for Land Rover business (appreciating that such a question fell far outside his scope of expertise...).

I spoke to someone called Matthew at 17:10 on 17th December... be warned!  [-X
Discovery 300 Tdi - 2" lift, side exit exhaust, HD bumpers, T-Maxx 9500, removable tow hitch, snorkel and 235/85's

Discovery 4 Commercial - very standard but very nice!

Freelander 2 TD4 - Fun Prevention Officer's

Offline 300TDi Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 18:16:50 »
Nice one for that i thought it was cheap to be honest but someone else said "if the vehicle is dirty" they will say you have been offroading and void the claim.
So if you own a landrover and you drive it only on the road then footman james is the company for you. I never understand why people buy these machine, just to drive them on road how boring.
Let's Ave It.
One Life, Get One

Peugeot 206 XS
Fiat Ducato (work van)
Disco 300TDI

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 18:23:22 »
First fall out from the Gresham case perhaps ?
1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Offline JumboBeef

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 18:45:48 »
.....but greenlaning is not off-road.

Offline LiftedDisco

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 19:07:33 »
Accepted... but I also tend to do a few off road events (as in the Birthday Bash...  :dance: ) and Murphy's Law dictates that I have a problem on the way home...

Strops, tools and mud?  Nah, officer, just been to Tesco...

Methinks, better safe than sorry and stick with NFU rather than risk the muppets voiding the insurance for 'non-disclosure'
Discovery 300 Tdi - 2" lift, side exit exhaust, HD bumpers, T-Maxx 9500, removable tow hitch, snorkel and 235/85's

Discovery 4 Commercial - very standard but very nice!

Freelander 2 TD4 - Fun Prevention Officer's

Offline skip2

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 21:54:34 »

Greenlaning and the occasional playday... Suddenly this needed to be referred to a supervisor, before coming back with the comment, "If it's used off road, we can't quote."

Absolutely adamant - road cover only and they would not even provide a price if there was any chance of the vehicle being taken off road.  I explained that I did not require cover whilst at play sites and that lanes are part of the highway network... no, no, no - if it's off road, then no quote.

I queried why they advertised for Land Rover business (appreciating that such a question fell far outside his scope of expertise...).

I spoke to someone called Matthew at 17:10 on 17th December... be warned!  [-X

Yeap and its been mentioned on a couple of other forums as well with other companies.

I'am in the process of getting quotes for another landy and asking this specfic question, am I covered for this etc etc etc

I asked was I covered for returning from a RTV (Road traffic vechicle) having trialed at a ALRC trail  told by a NFU rep no as might have damaged the vechicle and put extra strain on the vechicle.

Asked about greenlaning bit of a pause here, told would not be covered for off roading, but I explained greenlaning is not off roading but legal roads, the surface of such can vary. Then we got into some debate about farm drives been unsurfaced but unadopted. Strange I though as surely National  Farmers Union know about farm tracks ?

Seems some office staff never get off there &**S

Note RTV is designed for road vechicles, must be taxed, inusured and have mot (if under 3 years).

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 22:02:06 »
Absolute bloody loonacy!!
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 22:25:00 »
Yikes!

I live down 100m of unadopted farm track!

Its rougher than my fields, but not as bad as speed bumps whihc reminds me....(nother post)
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 09:44:40 »
How stupid  :roll: :roll:

So I cannot get to my garage now !! It is round the back of the house down a partially surfaced access track, the only bit of tar is outside the garage !!!

Under these "rules" every farmer in the land is now not insured  :roll: :roll: How do you extract animals from a field ? Normal process use LR to tow a stock trailer into field entrance "off road" load up and drive to market etc etc.

Absolute crass stupidity a typical knee jerk reaction from a totally uniformed useless lot !!
1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 10:41:08 »

I asked was I covered for returning from a RTV (Road traffic vechicle) having trialed at a ALRC trail  told by a NFU rep no as might have damaged the vechicle and put extra strain on the vechicle.

Asked about greenlaning bit of a pause here, told would not be covered for off roading, but I explained greenlaning is not off roading but legal roads, the surface of such can vary. Then we got into some debate about farm drives been unsurfaced but unadopted. Strange I though as surely National  Farmers Union know about farm tracks ?

There is a slight difference there! You asked if you would be COVERED for off roading? It is well accepted that we are not actually covered off road (you should still be covered on green lanes mind!!) but once you return to the highway then you should be covered! Any Landrover Insurer should do this, and if they don't tell them to sod off!!

This has got me thinking mind, I'm a Coastguard Rescue Officer (voluntary job, about 3500 of us around the country, ALL coastguard rescue is done by volunteers!) And although most teams have a 4x4 with the Blues and Two's etc which carries the kit, there is not enough seats for all the team in the vehicle, so we have to use our own vehicles to get to the shouts at times (which opens a whole new can of worms!!)  The MCA have recently told all of us that our own vehicles are not allowed off road AT ALL!! No ifs, buts or maybe's, its a no no!! But in my team alone we have 4 off road kitted Ladrovers and a RR Sport!! These vehicles have all been used to good effect but no longer!! Makes me wonder if this is connected??
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline robert francis

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 11:28:26 »
im 32 got a 200tdi disco, noel dazley and co, £170 tpff gaurenteed value of £3000 loadsa mods  limited millage 4000 green lane and pay n plays, not bad adrian flux £195 the same but they let me drive other cars and build no claims bonus

p.s i got 3 point aswell, ps30
www.bonkas4x4wales.com
fully prepared offroader
lifted, large wheels, rose jointed trailing arms, snorkel,spots, roof rack, h/d rear bumper, tree sliders, winch and winch bumper, body lift, loads more.
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

Offline mudmuncher

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 11:36:08 »
L.V were good to me on my 4.6 P38 Range Rover  :D :D
*****MEN IN YELLOW DO IT WITH CONES*****

4.6ltr Range Rover P38
     1985 Mini
     Lunar Delta 500two caravan

Offline skip2

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 19:03:14 »

There is a slight difference there! You asked if you would be COVERED for off roading? It is well accepted that we are not actually covered off road (you should still be covered on green lanes mind!!) but once you return to the highway then you should be covered! Any Landrover Insurer should do this, and if they don't tell them to sod off!!

This has got me thinking mind, I'm a Coastguard Rescue Officer (voluntary job, about 3500 of us around the country, ALL coastguard rescue is done by volunteers!) And although most teams have a 4x4 with the Blues and Two's etc which carries the kit, there is not enough seats for all the team in the vehicle, so we have to use our own vehicles to get to the shouts at times (which opens a whole new can of worms!!)  The MCA have recently told all of us that our own vehicles are not allowed off road AT ALL!! No ifs, buts or maybe's, its a no no!! But in my team alone we have 4 off road kitted Ladrovers and a RR Sport!! These vehicles have all been used to good effect but no longer!! Makes me wonder if this is connected??

I did, but was more specific as what is the definition of "Off roading" there is no diffinition one "rep" mentioned this.

It seems your OK for areas away from the public road if the public have permitted access, things here areas like campsites car parks (surfaced or not) and public shows like billing, providing you have the permitted access ie paid or part the event. So camping fields where you pay a fee or intend to are covered.

My question where you covered once you had been to a trail or pay-day event, your NOT covered while trialing or on the pay day site that the site organiser reponseabilty, but after traveling to and from, seems with some they are worried about damage which then goes on to cause a accident or play in some part with.

The volunteer bit another can of worms, its been known for a few years some policies don't cover Volunteering if you put your vechicle beyond whats normal road use, I've been told by various clubs etc 4x4 response volunteers might not been coved. I asked a similar question 2 years ago and told not covered on a "Classic Policy" as its not a SDP normal policy, but told OK for RTV's as long as stayed within the restricted milage. I don't want classic policy as want to keep no claims bonus. 

Your coastguard qurrey is a interesting one, about 2-3 years ago a 4x4 got stuck on a beach car park which sometimes is covered by the tide, some other 4x4's went to help and recover than they got stuck, the tide came in and wrote off all the vechicles. Non of the owners got any money back, the insures said that they put there own vechicles at risk, nor were they able to sue the car park owner (signs where quite clear). End result was unofficial pay site got closed off :sad:

Offline landmannnn

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 22:30:32 »
This isn't a new thing from Footman James, they said the same to me at least 6 years ago. 

I think it is very likely (they wouldn't confirm or deny this!)  that they were caught out by a few people who damaged their vehicles off roading, those people then "had an accident" on a slippery road involving a ditch or similar.

A claim on the fully comp insurance and the insurance company has little choice but to pay out.

There must be several people on here who have done a similar thing with breakdown recovery, break something - get towed a couple of miles from the playday site - make that call!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal