AuthorTopic: CD ERROR???  (Read 3865 times)

Offline sogster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
CD ERROR???
« on: December 02, 2003, 20:57:22 »
Hi Gang,

On the way home from work this evening I was having a listern to a bit of cruising music on the cd player. I decided to change from disc 2 to disc 5 and it all went quiet and the display reads CD ERROR??

When i got home I tried to eject the cartridge but it wasn't having any of that either :oops:

Does anyone know what the next step is please!! But go steady if it's a majorly costly one!!

Sogster.
1998 50th anv Landrover Discovery Tdi      S834 FVC.

23 ft Swift Challenger 490se 2000 model

Previously owned,
1991 Landrover Discovery Tdi 5 door,        H529 KWK.

Offline richardb

Attack Member
CD ERROR???
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 22:12:31 »
If its anything like my multichanger a cd has got stuck half in & half out of the cartridge, it usually needs a little gentle persuasion & it will come out.
His: Monty - 1994 300 Tdi ES
Hers: Nelson - 1996 TDi S

Offline Donald the Disco

Attack Member
CD ERROR???
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 23:22:14 »
This is a common problem with the CD player.   :roll:            Proceed as follows:

1) Remove plastic cover from the side of the front seat.
2) Using gentle pressure, from the bottom of the sliding door, pull upwards and slightly forwards this sliding door, this will dislocate the mounting lugs on theback of the sliding door.
3) Push the CD cartridge back into the player and turn on the radio again
4) Set radio to CD and select disc 1 wait for CD to flip though all 6 discs and reset it's self.
5) select disc and press play.  You should have music  :D
6) Once this problem has started it will continue to jam up the player,  every so often.
7) Dealer told me the only way to fix it would be to renew system............I don't think so............... :?

If it gets worse or becomes a total pain, then I would suggest a new / better system.....Sony or Kenwood maybe.......

Having drowned Donald last year, the rebuild meant taking out the CD player and stripping it down to get the 6 CDs out. I did this recently, (1yr on) the rust had started to get a hold on to the insides of the player,  If you have the time /money/ knowledge, you may be able to strip the player down to get at the runners and drive belts to be able to OIL / GREASE them. There position in the car allows a lot of floating dirt to get into the insides of the player.

I hope this helps your cause.
Paul

"DONALD THE DISCO" 1994 Tdi ES (The off road toy) RIP

"ANNIE"  1998 Tdi  50th Ltd Edt (The posh motor)

"JOE"  1994 defender 90 truckcab

www.glass-uk.org
www.Defender50th.co.uk

International Sheep Dog Society member

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
CD ERROR???
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 23:43:09 »
mine didnt come with anything (cept the bog standard radio cassette)

so i bought a tape head unit and 6 cd changer and had it installed as well as buying cerwin vega speakers for the back pillar

the company who did the install did not charge for the installation, so if you bought the kit there installation is free and it took all day.

anyway back to the point of this posting

as the back of my car has only got one dickie seat they placed the changer in the slot where the 7th should be.

i had asked them about under the seat and they gave two reasons

1) changer is bigger than the seat would allow
2) water/mud would damage it as well as wandering feet/cans of pop and as such is safer up higher and in the boot.

hope this helps also

d

Offline sogster

Attack Member
CD ERROR
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 17:58:27 »
Thanks guys, i'll have a go at trying to get it up and running again. I like to keep everything as standard as possible if I can.

A chap at work has an older unit at home that was under the passenger seat, is this the same unit as the one under my drivers seat?? If it is he said I could buy it for a modest sum of money.

Thanks again,

Soggy.

Previously owned,

Offline sogster

Attack Member
CD ERROR FIXED!!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 21:05:51 »
:lol:  I found the time today to take my Changer out and have a look. Nothing seemed jammed or stuck. I was able to pop the cartridge out and "Hey Presto the unit went through its own reset default programme and once all put back together it seems fine!!.

Sogster.

Previously owned,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal