AuthorTopic: 1977 Series 3  (Read 2136 times)

Offline schuee

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
1977 Series 3
« on: November 15, 2008, 17:05:24 »
Have been to look at a Series 3 today, basically found this through my brother-in-laws friend, the old chap used it for pulling a trailer to shift things around his property and now it has stood for over a year.He has fitted a webber carburetor and was going to fit a pump diaphragm which he has bought though not fitted yet.It is a 2 and a quarter petrol and did run really well.The upshot is the body work is very tidy and interior is as expected of a vehicle of this age, though the chassis needs a lot of welding and patching up, the brother and father in law are profesional welders and we have a ready supply of metal and the facilities to cut it to shape.
The old chap wants it to go to a enthuaist who will get it back on the road, the thing is I think he knows it needs some serious amount of work to get it back on the road, so basically wants it out of the way so I think doesn't want a lot of money for it.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/schuee/Series3?authkey=XVMjQPHy6PI#

Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated, this is something I have never thought of doing before, though it would make a nice little machine, even if its not on the road untill this time next year.

Cheers

Keith

Offline TBM

Attack Member
Re: 1977 Series 3
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 18:51:00 »
That chassis looks like it needs a serious amount of work, but looks like you have the right people to do it. If you can get it for a couple of hundred it could be worth it.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 21:04:24 »
If the chassis is that bad also look out for.

Swivels on the front hubs, make sure they are not too piited or they need replacing.
Springs, very likley to be blown and need replacing if they have not been already.
Bulkhead, rust near the brake server or the "legs" that attacth it to the out riggers (between wing and door) will be MOT issue as its structural.
Door tops

Whilst nothing on a Series 3 is expensive to replace it all ads up to a lot of work an lots of £70 pounds here and there all adding up to a lot.

CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline baron von ledwidge

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:20:08 »
I have to agree with above i would also consider if yoru going to go for that amount of work you may as well buy and older landy and get  one that will be tax exemp.  Just a thought tho at the same time if its cheap enough. go for it
Series iii 88"                Series 3 88"
2.25 diesel                  200tdi
 Hard top                     Exmoor Trim hood
checker plate wings     checker plate wings
checker plate sills        parabolic springs
checker plate floor       overdrive
                                    roll cage
                                    corabreu bucket seats   
                                    fairey overdrive
drive it break it fix it

Offline schuee

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 22:45:19 »
I have had a long hard think about this, and have come to the decision that it is quite alot of work to take on, and considering the advise I will look for a truck with an MOT at least and if the right one comes along maybe a tax exempt vehicle.Have always fancied an older Landy, I will ask a couple of mates if anyone else would be interested as the old chap wants it to go to a good home and not the scrap dealers, which would be a great shame.

Thanks for the advise all :)

Cheers

Keith

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 12:25:08 »
Hi Keith,

My 2a has tax and test on it, and is for sale (see the for sale section), although it does need work, it needs nothing to the scale that the one you looked at needed!

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline schuee

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 09:52:37 »
Thanks for letting me know, think I'm going to wait untill the new year and see how the finances are coping, I have two young daughters and the missus who bleed my finances dry this time of year  ;) :shock:

Cheers

Keith

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal