AuthorTopic: Could i live with a jeep after owning a disco?  (Read 13454 times)

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
  • Referrals: 0
Could i live with a jeep after owning a disco?
« on: August 02, 2008, 14:28:46 »
been looking around at cherokee,s as they seem to be plentiful and reasonably cheap at the mo, what are they like to live with, will it be a money pit(more so than a landy :lol:) seen a couple of modified ones that look really good are the parts readily available for modding and cheap?
your views welcome :D
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline J66P

Attack Member
Re: Could i live with a jeep after owning a disco?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 15:54:32 »
really depends what you like, if you like Landrovers stick with em cos if you get a Jeep youll realise what youve been missing out on, as an example of a money pit I have been using a Jeep Cherokee now for 4 years and it has never let me down, the only real repair I have had to do is the torque converter seal and that was my fault really, had a trailer on with a Landrover that I was recovering and cooked the gearbox.

Parts are readily available but can be on the expensive side, breakers are your best bet, or the States.

The big down side to the Jeep is the old fuel consumption especially as soon as you touch the gearing set up, best bet is go for one on gas if you can get hold of one.

With relation to mods its likek most things, depends how much money youve got, how handy you are with the tools, we have a guy who has lifted his 3 inch for around £50 and we have others who lift them 3 inch for £500.

I'm sure there will be a few who disagree with the statement above but in my opinion and several Jeep guys I know that have owned Landrovers I would never go back, not a chance
Jeep Cherokee Ltd 4 litre on LPG, 4"+ lift, JKS Quick Disconnects, R/C Shockers, Insa Sahara's, Rusty's Engine and Transmission Skid, Warn Transfer Case Guard, Safari Snorkel, Safari Rack with HiLift Jack, Aussie rear locker, Power trax Front Locker, Hayden Tranny Cooler

SJ413, 3"lift, 6 point roll cage, Power Steered, 12000lbs winch, SU carb conversion, BFG MT's, Rear disc

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 16:29:58 »
i did think about a 5.7 grand ch one last yr could find one for love or money . vvv luxury  ;)

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 16:31:35 »
I know someone who uses one for laning and other various 4x4 stuff, he seems happy with it. The main problem you'll run into is that while standard spares are cheap 2nd hand (I've seen MOT failures for £100) buying mods can be expensive as you have to get them from the USA.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 17:56:31 »
Lighthouse do parts and the service is brilliant

There's also Mansfield 4x4 and I think a new place has opened in Kent (4x4 magazine mentioned them this month)

With a Cherry you get a hell of a lot for your money.....

Modding parts from the US are not too expensive and there is a huge range to choose from..
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 17:58:37 by Bishops Finger »
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline GREENI

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 18:54:49 »
You know my views  ;)

Offline ronttuk

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 19:39:25 »
i run a 1996 grand ltd its great every extra u can imagine but 18 mpg is a bit of a pain
to be old and wise you must first be yound and foolish

www.motormeet.co.uk

Offline durace11

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 18:27:57 »
Used to have series 2 Landrovers and a 3.9 Range rover, Just bought a Grand Cherokee 2.5 diesel and loving it.

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 00:20:07 »
really depends what you like, if you like Landrovers stick with em cos if you get a Jeep youll realise what youve been missing out on, as an example of a money pit I have been using a Jeep Cherokee now for 4 years and it has never let me down, the only real repair I have had to do is the torque converter seal and that was my fault really, had a trailer on with a Landrover that I was recovering and cooked the gearbox.

Parts are readily available but can be on the expensive side, breakers are your best bet, or the States.

The big down side to the Jeep is the old fuel consumption especially as soon as you touch the gearing set up, best bet is go for one on gas if you can get hold of one.

With relation to mods its likek most things, depends how much money youve got, how handy you are with the tools, we have a guy who has lifted his 3 inch for around £50 and we have others who lift them 3 inch for £500.

I'm sure there will be a few who disagree with the statement above but in my opinion and several Jeep guys I know that have owned Landrovers I would never go back, not a chance

bang on gary!!!,ive had suzuki,s 90,s.discos,and I would NEVER have a green oval again,my spanners are gathering dust in the shed, its great,just done a 300 mile run with 80 miles of greenlanes in with it and my cherry never missed a beat not once,and we had a few landrover breakdowns but I never even popped the bonnet on mine at all, you can get a lot of offroady type bits but really to be honest all you need is a set of 30-31" tyres,a 3" lift and some front anti-roll bar disconnects and thats it!!!.........one thing is though that they eat petrol like its goin out of fashion so get one with an lpg conversion....there was a 1998 on ebay the other day with a 4" lift,new BFG,s all really tidy,all leather and stuff for £1295,ill show my ar** in burtons window if you could find a 90 or a disco in the same condition and year for the money
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 00:23:06 »
I know someone who uses one for laning and other various 4x4 stuff, he seems happy with it. The main problem you'll run into is that while standard spares are cheap 2nd hand (I've seen MOT failures for £100) buying mods can be expensive as you have to get them from the USA.

WRONG!!! they are cheaper to buy from the US than from dealers in this country and they dont break down half as often as land rover
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 00:33:37 »
My Jeep was ridiculous, drank for england, rotted like hell and parts were insanely priced.......  It was fast tho'.
Uncle had a diesel for one month which tells you how much he like the boat engined heap...... 

'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 00:46:02 »
Well,its horses for courses,but you must have got a bad one cos mine has no rust and has not broke down at all and its had some right pain,and yes as far as fuel,yes they do drink a lot,but at 50p a litre who cares......mines actually quite boring cos ive not had to put a spanner on it yet apart from the norm....and neither has my mate Mark who runs a Mitsi.......Its well known that once a car gets to a certain age they become totally un reliable but have you seen the price of secondhand 90,s lately??they are so over priced its unreal,so I bought a 1998 Xj for £1000 with low mileage and two owners and its best money I ever spent..........sorry

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 00:49:11 »
Can't argue wi' that i paid a grand for a 1969 V8 hybrid and that breaks down for fun :lol:

'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 14:19:34 »
yeah but it will break cos its 29 year old!! when mines that age it will be a pile of dust!!!.......so in the end its all an individual choice,some like landies,some like jeep or jap motors,if you go on a jeep forum they will all slag land rovers off and vice-versa
but for the money in my mind the green oval is not an option.........its always down to ££££ in the end

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 21:29:16 »
We don'tslag Landies.....just take an aloof approach....horses for courses but whoever reads this thread please don't understimate Jeeps :lol:  :wink:

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 12:57:59 »
We don'tslag Landies.....just take an aloof approach....horses for courses but whoever reads this thread please don't understimate Jeeps :lol:  :wink:

oh yes

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 19:42:26 »
thanks for all the replies they do appear to be value for money at the minute so i will take all the comments on board :D
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline The Smiths

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 01:28:35 »
Just go for it.  A 4L with LPG - and I've got a Diesel (veg oil) one.

If you don't like it you will get your money back when you scrap it ;)
If you always do what you have always done.
You will always get what you have always had.

Offline bilge rat

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 08:43:02 »
reading this with interest , got 2 discos , and like them a lot but the work ive done on them i reckon i could right  a small book . at the mo im using a grand thats had engine probs . cant seem to find the fault but seems ok to now . thing is its like a flying carpet compared with the disco and like said the fuell . getting 16 on average at the mo. so it would have to be gas for me . wouldnt have a vm lump . dont know what the 2'7 is like though ..alan....

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 07:53:32 »
some interesting comments, as i too , am giving thought to a jeep. Need to know what theyre like in the real world tho' - and whats the problem with the VM lump - I know the early ones were heaps (RR and SD1)- but i thought that the newer ones were loads better?
also can someone doa a parts cost breakdown for
Brakes
Full service
and out of interest whats the mpg for
2.5 petrol
4.0 petrol
2.5 td
As said above i have seen cherry's and grand cherrys with LPG conversions for 11-1200 on v and W plates - try and find a L/R for that money..cheapest Disco of that age with gas con I have seen was 3500  and I was thinking "whats wrong with it?"
Dont get me wrong i love Landies - BUT there comes a apoint when you have to consider that cutting out floors and replacing them is not a fun pastime - YES I agree L/R parts are cheap - but thats mainly due to there being a huge aftermarket parts need - which sot of tells you something!
(ex owner of 3 RRc's 5 Disco's - 7 Series 3's)

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 08:32:30 »
Hired one a few years back in the States and drove it round a 200 mile "Jeep trail" in one of the National Parks.  Was well impressed by its trail capabilities;  just point and shoot and it went everywhere.

There's the added bonus that when people say "I like your Jeep mister" you don't have to kill them.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 16:54:26 »
As said avoid early VM lumps

MPG.....my 4l Grand does 22ish sometimes seen 26...HTH

skip

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 20:07:49 »
Just to add my two pence worth. I had a 94 cherokee 4.0ltd  and loved it, sold it just over 2 years ago cos it was starting to bear resemblence to a colender.

I bought a 98 v8 discovery to replace the jeep. Barely a week has gone by without somthing going wrong or needing to be replaced, I found the driving position uncomfortable and it was just as bad to drive as the 110 defenders at work, they can be forgiven because of what they are!

The conclusion is that I sold my discovery  YESTERDAY!!! at an excessive loss (mainly due to economic climate) and I have replaced it with yet another cherokee. This time a 2.5 petrol sport model, on a W plate I picked up for £1500 with 70k on the clock and FSH. EVEN if I scrap it tomorrow I won't lose a much money as I've lost on the discovery in 2 years.

Offline bunnykins

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 12:52:16 »
My Jeep was ridiculous, drank for england, rotted like hell and parts were insanely priced.......  It was fast tho'.
Uncle had a diesel for one month which tells you how much he like the boat engined heap...... 

mines a P reg and i have looked long and hard......................cant find any rust !  :D

if you are light on the right foot...........its no more thirsty than a subaru wrx or a madza rx8 !
and for a 4 ltr that aint bad  ;)

Offline Green Jeep

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 16:11:46 »
In the past I've had 6 LR's, when looking for an off roader I choose a Wrangler, happy days, I then bought a Cherokee, and then another Cherokee as it was very clean and cheap, all 4.0, all with gas.

Lots of people love their Landies, just like Jeep owners love theirs, we've all heard of horror stories... as for the comments about rusty Jeeps.... a friend bought new parts, special order, for his Disco brand new in the packet.... rust all ready built in to them, he wont fit them.

So in short, try a Jeep, 4 litres are real good, I'm sure you'll like it and it's nice to break the mould.... There is lots of advice and info in here....
Laning patches will only keep the desire at bay for a few days, get in the mud and enjoy the banter.

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 17:17:57 »
I used to laugh at landrovers when I drove frontera's, pulled too many defenders out in a 2.0 SWB frontera for it not to be funny any more.

Now I've a jeep you don't want to know what I think about them  :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lol: :lol:

4 i6 auto either an xj or a zg on lpg and you'll be happy ;)
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 21:33:32 »
Thats called a recommendation methinks...

Offline boogieman

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 19:30:49 »
What date do the VMs to avoid precede ?  :smiley:

Offline The Smiths

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 19:54:12 »
All of the Jeep diesels are VM's
If you always do what you have always done.
You will always get what you have always had.

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 21:30:26 »
Newer ones a MB CRD me thinks...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal