AuthorTopic: Are series 2/2a/3 chassis' different?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline paulmmc

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Are series 2/2a/3 chassis' different?
« on: August 01, 2008, 18:06:00 »
It looks like I'm going to have to do some chassis repair work on my SWB 1981 series 3, either that or go for a new galvanised one. My question is if i buy a second hand landy with a galvanised chassis to salvage (along with other bits) do i have to go for a series 3 one or will a 2 or 2a work as well? Is much work required to adapt them?

Cheers,

Paul
1981 Series III, Petrol SWB
1987 Rangie 3.5V8 Auto
(Both of the above soon to become one hybrid!)

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Re: Are series 2/2a/3 chassis' different?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 19:14:31 »
They are different, but the differences are very minor.  If you go to the Richards Chassis website you will see there are some noticeable differences between a Series 2 and 2A Chassis, mostly comprising of additional support brackets on the 2A chassis.  I think the only major difference on the Series 3 chassis other than the construction method is that the brake hose brackets are completely different.

Offline TBM

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 19:44:24 »
Bear in mind that most of a Land Rovers 'identity' is its chassis. You could replace your chassis with a brand new galvanised one and retain its identity. If you used a chassis from a donor vehicle, you would, in the eyes of the law, be rebuilding the donor vehicle and must use its identity.

Offline nutsaboutseries

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 21:58:49 »
If you find one with a galvy chassis going for nowt you are a VERY lucky man. Probably the best bet for this route is the unfinished project type of thing.

Be wary of the warnings about chassis identiy given ^^^^^ The DVLA can get funny about it but I would say less likely if you are not trying to claim tax free status. But please beware of the can of worms you might open going this route.

To answer your original question whether they are different the answer is YES.

The difference are subtle but noticable. For example depending if is a 2a pre circa 1966 IIRC the handbrake mounting will be different. The brake hose brackets are also different. More subtle is the method of welding the rails which changed over time. All of these differences can be overcome easily from a technical point of view.
owner of far too many landies (according to SWMBO!) Big piles of treasure she calls scrap and this is where I buy most of the new stuff

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal